PDA

View Full Version : Glue Roller?

James White
01-31-2009, 10:30 AM
What do you use for a glue roller for edge to edge joints? I have one of the Woodcraft glue bottler with multiple heads. One of them being a roller. However I do not like it. First of it is not smooth and will not alway roll out the glue. It will often get stuck and drag. Second you cant immerse it in water so that it does not dry out.

So what do you use and were can I get one. I know ink rollers are supposed to be good. However I have not been able to find one.

James

Pat Germain
01-31-2009, 10:37 AM
I bought an ink roller at Hobby Lobby. Any craft store should carry them. It works surprisingly well. It's immersable. One time I forgot to soak it and the glue just peeled right off the rubber roller.

For smaller edges I use acid brushes. I've taped two together, side by side, for something a little wider which worked pretty well.

Paul Steiner
01-31-2009, 10:59 AM
I use a glue roller, chip brushes, and my fingers. I find the quickest way to clean my roller is to let the dry. Then I peel the glue off, you might have to get it started by squeezing the roller with a pliers. Have you ever tried getting glue of a workbench with a hammer? Tap the dried glue, it will break up and come right off, it is really brittle.

Jamie Buxton
01-31-2009, 11:02 AM
For PVA? Finger. It is cheap, always around, and easy to clean.

Joe Chritz
01-31-2009, 11:04 AM
If you want a good roller try to find an obsolete finger print ink roller.

A hobby store ink roller is next best.

I don't do much veneer work so I just use a little brush normally. For edge gluing I usually just put a fat bead on both sides and slide it around a little then clamp.

Joe

James White
01-31-2009, 11:06 AM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. Cleaning the roller is not my concern. As you have stated let it dry. Or even hot water and some rubbing before it dries works as well. My problem is when you have twenty min. between gluing the glue starts to set on the roller and it becomes lumpy. Then it really does a poor job. I only have Micheal's for a craft store around here. Haven't seen any hobby store yet. Ill have to take a look in the YP's.

James

Narayan Nayar
01-31-2009, 11:19 AM
I have one but don't use it very often. It adds another few minutes of cleaning and prepping to an already lengthy setup process, and I don't really see any benefit in using it.

I'll usually grab something in the cutoff pile if I don't use an acid brush.

glenn bradley
01-31-2009, 11:32 AM
Pasta Roller. I've used this one for years. The thing I love about it is it always comes clean. 99cent store, Big Lots or if you have an urgent need . . . the cooking store.

Tony Joyce
01-31-2009, 12:22 PM
I have several of these that I use with different types of glue. 2" wide A little pricey than some, but should last forever. They come from www.veneersupplies.com (http://www.veneersupplies.com)

Tony Joyce

Loren Hedahl
01-31-2009, 2:05 PM
For edge gluing I don't use a roller.

What I use is a piece of hack saw blade. The serrations leave just the right amount of glue on the edge.

The effect is the same as using a serrated trowel when setting tile in quick set cement.

Don L Johnson
01-31-2009, 2:22 PM
The Wood Whisperer has a good one that he posts in "his" store that you can get from Amazon. It, too, is a print roller. I've got the 3", and although that may sound too big, it works perfectly when edge glueing several boards at a time.

Steve Jenkins
01-31-2009, 2:29 PM
I agree with using a finger. always handy and cleans with a swipe with a wet rag or wipe off on the edge of a sawhorse. For wider stuff I use an adhesive roller from the depot that I cut down to a couple inches or whatever length I need.

Dave Lehnert
01-31-2009, 3:32 PM
I use the glue spreaders from Lee Valley. (pic below) the tip is very flexible and glue just cracks right off when dry.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=48479&cat=1,110,42967&ap=1

http://www.leevalley.com/images/item/woodworking/adhesives/99k5010s1.jpg