PDA

View Full Version : picture question

fred sanchez
01-31-2009, 1:05 AM
quick question

if i want to engrave a picture lets say its 8 1/2 by 11 do i want a high ppi or a low ppi

i did i test engrave and it looked like it lost some of its detail compaired to the smaller one

James Jaragosky
01-31-2009, 1:19 AM
quick question

if i want to engrave a picture lets say its 8 1/2 by 11 do i want a high ppi or a low ppi

i did i test engrave and it looked like it lost some of its detail compaired to the smaller one
To answer that question properly some more information is needed.

What type of material is being engraved?
What type of file format is the picture saved as?
At what dpi is the picture save as?
How big was the original picture?
What resolution is your monitor set for?

Generally speaking if you started with a smaller photo and enlarged it you will loose some detail.
A small photo saved at a high dpi will mitigate(like 1200dpi) some of that loss.
Also files saved with a compression format (think jpeg) will loose data and give you less detail.
Sometimes if your screen resolution is not set properly it can affect photo work.
if you can post the photo file that will clear up a lot of the questions.
hope this helps.
Jim J.

fred sanchez
01-31-2009, 2:03 AM
What type of material is being engraved? wood
What type of file format is the picture saved as? bmp gray and i used photograv
At what dpi is the picture save as? 300
How big was the original picture? 8 by 6
What resolution is your monitor set for? 1280 by 960
here is a picture i was just wondering about the lil dots is there a way to inprove it when you go big compaired to the smaller one

Tim Bateson
01-31-2009, 8:39 AM
The "dots" are produced by PhotoGrav. Did you change the size after using PhotoGrav?

Larry Bratton
01-31-2009, 9:21 AM
300dpi for Photos, Photograv Ver 3 is going to convert them to greyscale. I take mine into Photoshop first and work on contrast etc. before sending to Photograv as greyscale.

Mike Mackenzie
02-02-2009, 11:35 AM
Fred,

The typical rule of thumb is to match the PPI to the DPI. We would process the photo in photograv at 250 DPI and then depending on the material run the file at 250 DPI and 250 PPI or 500 DPI and 500 DPI. when you double the PPI and DPI you double the dots. Give this a try.

Dave Johnson29
02-02-2009, 3:17 PM
The typical rule of thumb is to match the PPI to the DPI.

Mike,

What's the max for PPI on these later machines? Mine has a max of 39,999 for PPI.

Is that still the max? If not I can proportion my 39,999 to the current range for a relative DPI setting as I get exactly the same result as Fred.

Thanks

Dave Johnson29
02-02-2009, 3:22 PM
here is a picture i was just wondering about the lil dots is there a way to inprove it when you go big compaired to the smaller one

Hi Fred,

I got the same results when I did pics. It is definitely something to do with the picture and the work that is done to it. Sorry I can't be more helpful but I am watching this thread with interest as it may also solve my problem.

Frank was kind enough to give me a final pic and it burned correctly and looked like his end result so I know my laser can do it.

I am the roadblock with this issue. :):)

fred sanchez
02-02-2009, 9:52 PM
ok well thanks for the advice guys
after doing some more test and puting some of the advice to work and adding a few of my tweaks i came out with thease .
the one on the bottom was the first one i did witch did not come out very well and the two top ones came out really good. and the one of the lil kid even better
so thanks everyone once again the saw mill comes thru with good advice

fred sanchez
02-02-2009, 9:56 PM
opps forgot to post the pictures

Dave Johnson29
02-03-2009, 3:52 AM
ok well thanks for the advice guys
after doing some more test and puting some of the advice to work and adding a few of my tweaks i came out with thease .

Hi Fred,
Wow, they turned out great. Care to share what those tweaks etc were? The bottom one in the first pic is excellent. If I could get mine that good I would be happy. I still get clumps instead of individual dots.

I don't have Photgrav so maybe that's part of my problem.

Steve Clarkson
02-03-2009, 7:49 AM
Fred.....very nice.....I especially like the cutout of the little boy. Mind teaching me how you did that? I could figure out the outline cutout, but how did you get inside the arms to cut out?

fred sanchez
02-03-2009, 12:21 PM
Yeah dave you need photograv really not sure how you can do itwith out it.
Seeing that u have a universal I think there coming out with there photo add on at the end of this month.
Funny that you liked the bottom one that's the one I didn't like.

And Steve when I get home tonight I'll shoot you a email explaining how I did the cuting out. It's to hard doing it on my iPhone