PDA

View Full Version : Three different turnings

Tony Greenway
01-31-2009, 12:39 AM
Hello everyone, thought I'd post my latest turnings. The walnut bowl is made of corner cut-offs that were glued up. The two cedar turnings are from a 8' log I retrieved from my uncle's barn loft. I don't know why it was there, but I'm glad he remembered where he had put it after ten years. All three were finished with multiple coats of Danish Oil. I would like to this opportunity to thank everyone for all the good advise posted on SMC. I've sure learned alot about turning right here...........Tony

Steve Schlumpf
01-31-2009, 12:45 AM
Very nice work Tony! Always great to see folks use their imagination when it comes to turning! Really like the cedar half log as it displays the rich color and the contrast between heartwood/sapwood! The walnut plate looks really nice but I am a little concerned about the cross-grain joints. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the joints don't try and pull apart on you!

Nice work on everything! Thanks for sharing!

Tony Greenway
01-31-2009, 1:04 AM
Thanks Steve, the cedar was very turner friendly. As for the walnut bowl, that wood was 8/4 kiln-dried and seem to be very stable. I have kept an eye on it for about a month now, and haven't noticed any movement in the joints so far.......Tony

Steve Schlumpf
01-31-2009, 1:14 AM
Tony - hopefully being dried in a kiln will make all the difference! I really like the way you have the grain orientated in the bowl - very simple yet effective design! Hopefully, you will never have any separation issues with it!

Curt Fuller
01-31-2009, 9:58 AM
Man, all 3 are very nice bowls. I really like the 2 cedar natural bowls, great use of the wood. I'm betting the walnut bowl will be fine. I made a couple in the same way from oak pallets a couple years ago and they seem to be holding just fine.

Joe Chritz
01-31-2009, 10:06 AM
That 1/2 log is cool.

Nice work

Joe

Paul Douglass
01-31-2009, 11:15 AM
I really like your work. I bet that middle one was scary to turn with all that wood flying around. Looks to me like it would make a great base for a set of desk pens. Desk set with a built in candy dish.

Nice work.

Tony Greenway
01-31-2009, 6:56 PM
Thanks to all for the feedback, and yes, the offset bowl was a challenge. I had to really watch the speed, cranking the dial just a touch to fast would really put me on the quick-step to run down the lathe.:eek::eek::eek:

Rich Boehlke
01-31-2009, 10:13 PM
What a cool idea! I'd like to try something similar. How scary is it to turn those half log pieces? Any special techniques?

Tony Greenway
01-31-2009, 11:25 PM
Rich, you should check the chuck tightness about every other minute, keep a low speed so the lathe won't try to run away, and ALWAYS KNOW WHERE YOU FINGERS ARE IN RELATION TO THE SPINNING WOOD. Getting pinched against the toolrest with a chunk like that could be life changing.:(:( Good luck with your piece........Tony

Allen Neighbors
01-31-2009, 11:48 PM
All three are exceptional! You have a good eye!

Bernie Weishapl
02-01-2009, 12:00 AM
Great turnings Tony. I like the third one. Very well done on all.