PDA

View Full Version : Wife is gone to quilting retreat

Dahl Troy Perry
01-30-2009, 9:16 PM
Wife went to a quilting retreat and I went to the wood show with no one with me to say do you realy need that?:D:D Came home with a 8" slow speed grinder with 60 and 120 grit wheels Wolverine grinding system with vari-grind Attachment,a gal anchorseal ,Beall wood buff system,Beall 4" ball buffs,20 slime line pen kits, 6 SS bottle stopers, sandpaper, router bits,Thin Rip Tablesaw Jig, Wife wont be home till Sun night think I might go back to the show Sunday before she gets home you know it's better to ask for forgiveness then ask permission:rolleyes: Have to work Sat but ready to get in the shop Sun morning early.

Dahl

Dewey Torres
01-30-2009, 9:23 PM
Well I guess that means you have plenty of time to go back for more!:)

Jim Koepke
01-30-2009, 10:35 PM
Hide it all and she may never know.

What she doesn't know won't hurt you.

jim

Bob Vavricka
01-30-2009, 10:40 PM
Dahl,
My wife is into quilting/sewing/embroidery and it is a vortex of its own. My guess is that she is playing the same game you are.
Bob V.

Jim Swift
01-30-2009, 10:49 PM
Dang Dahl

With that haul I sure hope you left something for the rest of us. I am going to the WW show Sat. but have to take wife to the home show also so I won't be able to sneek anything past her.:)

Where did you get the thin strip jig?

Jim

Bernie Weishapl
01-30-2009, 11:09 PM
Congrats Dahl that is quite a haul. If your wife is like mine she will see and I repeat will see the credit card bill.:eek::mad: Yes it is easier to ask for forgivness than it is permission.;):rolleyes:

Bill Embrey
01-30-2009, 11:15 PM
Good job Dahl ;). It is fun to see what you can get and "sneak" into the shop... then when they notice it a while later, "Where did 'item x' come from?", you can say, "oh that?... I've had it a while, can't remember where I picked it up"... sometimes, it actually works (got a Rigid shop vac and had it over a month before my buddy "ratted" me out)...

My wife is also a quilting fanatic... she is the same way with fabric that I am with wood... they are both vortex's from which there is no return.

Bill (in OK)

Jason Clark2
01-31-2009, 12:06 AM
I also have a quilting spouse. If you thought lathes were expensive wait until you're in the market for a Long Arm quilting setup. I could have had close to 3 Oneway 2436s for the same price as her quilting setup (APQS Millennium).

We also use the fabric stash/wood pile analogy combined with the military's don't ask don't tell policy.

Jason

Steve Schlumpf
01-31-2009, 12:18 AM
Dahl - congrats on all the absolutely necessary turning essentials! Should make life in the shop a little more enjoyable! Is that possible??

Dahl Troy Perry
01-31-2009, 6:09 AM
Jim the thin rip jig came from Rockler went to there store too on sale $16. Bernie paid cash no paper trail thru receipts away. :rolleyes::rolleyes:Still looking at a Delta drill press would like to up grade from my sears that dad bought used in about 1968 would like tilting table and more than 4 speeds.

Dahl

Gary Kvasnicka
01-31-2009, 1:50 PM
I also have a quilting spouse. If you thought lathes were expensive wait until you're in the market for a Long Arm quilting setup. I could have had close to 3 Oneway 2436s for the same price as her quilting setup (APQS Millennium).

We also use the fabric stash/wood pile analogy combined with the military's don't ask don't tell policy.

Jason

I had no idea that a long arm machine cost that much. My wife started quilting last spring, when I showed her this thread, she said the inexpensive ones start around $7,000. Also, she said many husbands of her quilting group's members are woodworkers.

I think I will keep telling her that hand quilting produces much better results.;)

Toney Robertson
01-31-2009, 5:05 PM
I can't believe no one else has said it but...

No pictures = it didn't happen.

Come on Dahl you should know the rules!!! :D

Toney

Jim Becker
01-31-2009, 6:16 PM
Yea, but what will she bring home from the retreat??? :D

(oh...pictures? Reality? They are related... ;) )

Allen Neighbors
01-31-2009, 7:37 PM
WTG, Dahl!! Her Majesty quilts too! She slobbered when I read her the post about the Millenium Long Arm.
You guys are all nuts!! :D

Doug Sewell
01-31-2009, 8:49 PM
I thought I got out cheap. My wife bought a long arm machine as old as me. I had to give up the formal living room because the thing is 14 feet long. The next purchase was a semi industrial embroidery machine, it cost me the office. She has 14 sewing machines at last count, Wish I had that many WW machines. Just got to love her.

Doug

CW McClellan
01-31-2009, 8:56 PM
Have ya ever thought she might be just making you a quilt to keep ya warm in the garage on a GI cot? :eek:

Dahl Troy Perry
01-31-2009, 8:59 PM
My wife Collects toy sewing machines she has 62 total and a embrody machine and and many more I always say she has more cloth hid in every hole in the house than most quilt shops have to sell:D:D

Rich Boehlke
01-31-2009, 9:04 PM
LOML also is into the quilting/sewing/embroidery vortex so I don't need to feel guilty about buying shop goodies. I'm actually running a bit behind or so that is what I tell her.