PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried FrogTape?

Dan Hintz
01-30-2009, 9:10 PM
I first saw FrogTape several months back on the show Cool Tools (on the DIY network). In a nutshell, it's a low-tack crepe tape (like blue painter's tape) that has an absorbant polymer mixed in with the adhesive. When paint hits the adhesive, as it would when trying to seep under the edge, the polymer expands like a baby's diaper and traps the paint before it can seep any farther. There may still be issues with deep wood grains, as well as the grain inside any engraving, but it might cut down on seepage elsewhere.

If someone tries it, I'm sure we'd all love to hear about it. It's green, comes in a plastic container, and is only found in certain shops. It doesn't appear to be in the major Borgs like Home Depot and Lowes, but Ace Hardware does appear to be one of the carriers, as well as some local lumber shops.

John W. Love
01-30-2009, 10:23 PM
WOW I was just looking at that tape not an hour ago at Home Depot. They have it in the paint section right next to the blue 3M painters tape. I was wondering if it would be applicable to lasering also. My concern on it was what would the adhesive do when the laser hit it. Would it cause the adhesive to stick to the product being lasered.

Matthew Poeller
01-31-2009, 1:40 AM
This Old House Magazine did a little spot on this stuff a couple months ago and they said that it worked great. Now I am not sure if TOH gets money for saying that or not.

At any rate I was looking for this stuff at some of the local BORGs and was not able to find it. I was not looking very hard but maybe I will make another round the next time that I am there.

Dave Johnson29
01-31-2009, 10:23 AM
I first saw FrogTape several months back on the show Cool Tools (on the DIY network).

Hi Dan,

It is excellent for preventing seepage when painting metal. A few months back I did a set of 1960-ish wheels for a friend's musle car. With two paint colors they turned out perfect. Best I have ever had, not a single creep under.

Not sure how well it will work with the laser but for the cost it is worth a try.

Dan Hintz
01-31-2009, 1:34 PM
John,

Good to know they're carrying it in at least one of the Borgs... according to their website, no HD or LW is listed.

Scott Shepherd
01-31-2009, 1:39 PM
HD carry it, look for it there. I bought some last week. It's expensive. I thought I was going to use it for a job, but the material came with a mask on it, so I just cut that mask where I needed the paint to stop and left the tape in the bag. When I get a chance, I'll give it a try. On the display, it doesn't say "no bleeding", it simply shows less bleeding. On the display you can see where it's wicked through, just no where near as much as the blue tape.

I'll report back.

Henry Ott
01-31-2009, 2:20 PM
Tastes just like Chic-kin! Sorry Dan, couldn't resist.

Nope never heard of this one yet, thanks for the heads up. Going to ask for it by name this afternoon. I like it when they give you that HD (What chu talkin bout) stare!

Henry.

anything to assist me with my Acme School of Paint skills! Hey I setup a mean drop cloth and Am/Fm radio!

Dan Hintz
01-31-2009, 3:06 PM
Henry,

I'm all too familiar with that look :rolleyes: One time I went into HD and asked where they kept their fish. Noticing the blank stare on the guy's face, I said "You know, the plumbing snakes?" He looked at me like I was from Mars and slowly replied "We don't carry pets here...". I had to launch into a discussion on what they're used for before he went to ask someone else. Eventually he came back and said "Aisle X", then quickly tucked tail between legs and scurried away for being such a halfwit.

Larry Bratton
01-31-2009, 4:00 PM
HD carry it, look for it there. I bought some last week. It's expensive. I thought I was going to use it for a job, but the material came with a mask on it, so I just cut that mask where I needed the paint to stop and left the tape in the bag. When I get a chance, I'll give it a try. On the display, it doesn't say "no bleeding", it simply shows less bleeding. On the display you can see where it's wicked through, just no where near as much as the blue tape.

I'll report back.
Scott:
I use that polyester sheet called Polyflex from Piedmont Plastics for mask. It won't wick paint and it lasers away no problem, plus it's safe to use. They cut it to size and for a piece the size of my laser bed..24 x 36 it's less than $2.50. I sometimes need to mask a whole table of door plates and that way I get it all with one sheet.

Bill Cunningham
01-31-2009, 10:12 PM
Henry,

I'm all too familiar with that look :rolleyes: One time I went into HD and asked where they kept their fish. Noticing the blank stare on the guy's face, I said "You know, the plumbing snakes?" He looked at me like I was from Mars and slowly replied "We don't carry pets here...". I had to launch into a discussion on what they're used for before he went to ask someone else. Eventually he came back and said "Aisle X", then quickly tucked tail between legs and scurried away for being such a halfwit.

You wouldn't 'dare' ask for that tape in Quebec, or even Northern Ontario.. Peta even thinks Duck tape is cruel..:D

Peter Meacham
01-31-2009, 11:00 PM
Larry

Piedmont Plastics does not list a Polyflex product - is the product that you use called Pflex Pressure Sensitive Film? Were you able to order it directly from the mfg or did you get it at a distributing store?

Thanks, Pete

Bill Morrison
02-01-2009, 9:22 AM
I've been using the Frog tapae for a couple of months now and have only used it on acrylic only. It works fine for that purpose but I would think that it would act just as regular tape does when used on wood. It works because when the liquid hits the edges they swell up and make the seal a bit tighter keeping the paint out. I don't know if this would apply when the center is cut out. I sure like it for what I use it for. I don't mind paying the little extra they charge since I figure it's worth it for not getting frustrated using the blue tape.

Bill

Larry Bratton
02-01-2009, 9:23 AM
Larry

Piedmont Plastics does not list a Polyflex product - is the product that you use called Pflex Pressure Sensitive Film? Were you able to order it directly from the mfg or did you get it at a distributing store?

Thanks, Pete
Pflex is correct. They sell direct and they produce that product in their film division in Charlotte,NC. I buy 50 sheets at a time. They also have some locations out your way I think.

John W. Love
02-01-2009, 8:16 PM
Dan,
I saw the frog tape in the paint department right by the blue stuff.
It is in a round plastic container with a lid on it. reminds me of a larger version of the way you used to buy electical tape in the lil container.
I figure if my HD carries it then probably almost all of them do. I live in a small town where we have a Lowes and an HD, but no grocery store. The convience stores shut down at 11 pm. We can build stuff just can't eat.

Dan Hintz
02-20-2009, 8:10 AM
3M™ Performance Plus Duct Tape 8979N (Nuclear Grade)
http://www.3m.com/us/mfg_industrial/indtape/duct/properties_n.html

:eek:

Prashun Patel
02-20-2009, 8:22 AM
I've used it. It's excellent. Works as advertised. Truth be told, I'm too cheap to buy it often, though. It's good if yr painting a sharp line next to an area that remains unpainted. But if you're painting trim or a wall, I found this technique with 'cheap' blue tape to work as effectively (granted it takes more time):

Say yr painting a chair rail white against a green wall. You tape the wall against the rail. Then you paint over the seam with the green wall color. This seals the edge and prevents subsequent seepage. Then you paint the chair rail it's real color. Comes out perfect.

Dan Hintz
02-20-2009, 10:04 AM
What, no comment on the nuclear tape? :confused:

Dave Russell Smith
02-20-2009, 12:27 PM
[quote=Henry Ott;1037387]
I like it when they give you that HD (What chu talkin bout) stare!

I know exactly what you are saying, I was looking for some bondo the other day and got that same look and was told go to a Auto shop :rolleyes: mmm, walked around the asle's and low and behold there it was BONDO. I picked it up and went past the sales person with a smile on my face:D

Prashun Patel
02-20-2009, 12:31 PM
I like it when you ask them about something they don't know about and they act like if they don't know about it, it's not worth knowing about. Like when I was looking for self-centering drill bits. "Uh, what are those? None of the pros I know use those; they just eyeball it."

Doug Bergstrom
02-20-2009, 1:30 PM
I tried the frog tape recently. I found it at HD in the clearance section. It works fine for small items. For larger items Vinyl mask works better an is less expensive. For the best results especially in small type use laser mask which is a plastic type tape. you can clean before painting and it will not wick at all.

Dan Hintz
05-05-2009, 7:03 AM
Well, after I posted on Frog Tape, then Nuclear Tape, I simply must continue with Army Rescue Tape.

http://www.expertverdict.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product1_17552_-1_41285_11051?cm_mmc=Affiliates-_-Shop_Window-_-Product-_-Non%20Feed

Army Rescue Tape® - so tough that it’s used by the armed forces. This amazing repair tape can even be used as an emergency fan belt! Use it for repairs on plumbing and electrical connections, make emergency O-rings, wrap metal fittings to prevent corrosion – the list is endless.

Made of silicone
Self infusing, meaning that it literally fuses to itself in use
Bond becomes permanent after about one minute
Incredible 700psi tensile strength
Creates an insulating, air-tight, water-tight seal
Resists fuels, oils, acids, solvents, salt water and UV rays

Dave Johnson29
05-05-2009, 10:50 AM
Well, after I posted on Frog Tape, then Nuclear Tape, I simply must continue with Army Rescue Tape.

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet Dan. :):)

I have some here called self-sealing repair tape. It is tough and good for some uses but the bonding to itself is a little trouble-prone.

You need to stretch it to get good bonding and it is a fine line between stretch and break. That means that the layer you are bonding to must have also been stretched a little. It has a protective film between each successive turn but just removing that film and laying the tape on itself without stretch does not produce a very good bond.

Once stretched and beginning to bond the last stretched 1/4" or so begins to curl up and back. I have found that wrapping it tightly with electrical tape holds it in position until it has bonded. Either that or just cut off that curled section after it has finished curing.

John W. Love
05-05-2009, 10:19 PM
Dan, do you think you could find some tape that could patch a submarine?

Dan Hintz
05-06-2009, 6:15 AM
Can it be in dry dock? :D

John W. Love
05-06-2009, 10:57 PM
lol I grew up on a working ranch in Texas and to be honest, I don't think I saw a vehicle that didn't have duct tape and baling wire holding something together on it till I was long gone from home and living in the big city where nobody even knows what baling wire is. (wire that is wrapped around bales of hay to hold them together) for Steve and the other yankees. :rolleyes:

Brian Robison
05-07-2009, 9:52 AM
Ah, you don't know where Steve is from. He's in Dairy country. NY is the 3rd largest dairy state behind Wisconsin and Minnesota (at least it was when I was growing up about 30 miles from where Steve is from).
It's not North & South, it's City & Country and trust me,
where Steve is from is Country. I now live in Tn and it's more city ish then where I lived in NY.

Dave Johnson29
05-07-2009, 10:21 AM
I don't think I saw a vehicle that didn't have duct tape and baling wire holding something together on it

Nothing says "quality" like unwrinkled duct tape repairs. :D