PDA

View Full Version : Rikon or Jet 14" bandsaw...Need help quick!

Chris Konikowski
01-30-2009, 7:58 PM
OK, the jet is on sale for $500 at Rocker tomorrow morning. Then I need a fence and guides and riser block. Is that correct?

The Rikon is $750 but has a fence, the capacity of the Jet with the riser, and micro adjust guide bearings and a resaw fence.

So, by the time you decorate the Jet with all this stuff, you might as well have bought a Rikon.

Am I missing something? What would your preference be? Is the Rikon guides and fence good? Anything else you guys have to add?

Darl Bundren
01-30-2009, 8:14 PM
I've got the Rikon 14" Deluxe and like it a bunch. I think that the guides are a little fussy to set up right, but then again, I am not very experienced with bandsaws. The resaw capacity is nice right out of the box--I've heard some about riser blocks needing shimming and whatnot, and that sounds like a hassle. The fence and resaw attachment are decent, too.

Ryan Baker
01-30-2009, 9:17 PM
I'd vote for the Rikon for sure. That's my favorite of the common 14" crowd. Of course, i've had my eye on the 18" Rikon for quite a while...

John Durscher
01-30-2009, 9:24 PM
I've got a Rikon, I've had it a few years. It is okay, but the wheels on mine aren't in the same plane so the blade won't run in the middle of both wheels. There doesn't seem to be any way to adjust this.

It has been a good saw, one thing I would caution you on is that not many of the "standard" bandsaw upgrades work on the Rikon, they only work on the standard (Delta, Jet, and the like) bandsaws. The upgrade I would really like to add is the Carter blade tension release handle, but it only seems to be available for the standard bandsaws.

All things considered, I wish I had purchased the Jet, only because add ons are readily available.

John

David Christopher
01-30-2009, 9:25 PM
I have the rikon also and I wouldnt trade it for nobodys 14" it resaws through 13" hardwood with no problems ( plenty of power )

Darl Bundren
01-30-2009, 9:58 PM
It has been a good saw, one thing I would caution you on is that not many of the "standard" bandsaw upgrades work on the Rikon, they only work on the standard (Delta, Jet, and the like) bandsaws. The upgrade I would really like to add is the Carter blade tension release handle, but it only seems to be available for the standard bandsaws.

The tension release handle is a feature on the 14" Deluxe Rikon now.

Danny Thompson
01-30-2009, 10:03 PM
+1 on the Rikon

glenn bradley
01-30-2009, 10:04 PM
If a deal hadn't of come along, I'd have that saw right now. It was a done deal till a fellow Creeker offered up his G0513X at the last moment.

Matthew Hills
01-31-2009, 1:16 AM
I think I'd favor the tricked-out Grizzly 14" for $720 (shipped) over the Rikon @ $750. Or wait on a sale.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/14-Extreme-Series-Bandsaw/G0555X

Matt

Carlos Alden
01-31-2009, 1:40 AM
I bought the Jet at a Woodcraft sale mid-December. I looked at the Rikon hard, though, and if the prices had been closer I would have got that. Nice saw, with good reviews.

Carlos

Bob Noles
01-31-2009, 7:57 AM
I'm another one who wouldn't trade my Rikon for anything else on the market. :cool:

Dewayne Reding
01-31-2009, 8:10 AM
I've got a Rikon, I've had it a few years. It is okay, but the wheels on mine aren't in the same plane so the blade won't run in the middle of both wheels. There doesn't seem to be any way to adjust this.....

John

Must have manufactured mine the same day. I also avoid blade changes when I can due to the tedious adjustment process. I do like the resaw capacity and power. It would be a tough decision if I was bandsaw shopping again.

Jim Dunn
01-31-2009, 8:37 AM
Rikon! I've had mine about 1 1/2yrs and love it. Customer service is great and the fit and finish on the saw was more than acceptable.

You can see it here http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=69940

Dave Sweeney
01-31-2009, 9:07 AM
I also choose the Rikon when I bought.

Chris Konikowski
01-31-2009, 9:35 AM
Well, I was really debating on getting the Jet on sale at Rockler today, but it looks like an early morning restaurant fire made my decision for me. Just got out of there and I am too tired to go wait in line at Rockler. The guys said the last time they had something like this, they were sold out in 10 minutes and had people waiting at 7:00AM....

Oh well....My wallet is heavier at least.... :D

Mike Wellner
01-31-2009, 12:17 PM
Grizzly. I am not a fan of Jet or Rikon.

You are getting the quality you can find at Sears and Menards.

Dave Lehnert
01-31-2009, 3:57 PM

Can you be a bit more specific? I feel the Jet or Rikon is way above the low end Sears or Menards. I would lump Grizzly, Jet and Rikon in one category as far as quality overall but can differ from tool to tool.

Dave Sweeney
01-31-2009, 5:39 PM

I'd also kinda like to hear specifically why you think that. Your statement is a little confusing as it could also be taken that you're saying that buying Grizzly is like getting the quality you can find at Sears and Menards. I wouldn't agree with that perspective either.

Dewayne Reding
02-01-2009, 9:53 AM

That would be a somewhat true statement where I come from, given the fact that my local Menards sells Jet. Subsequent posters are correct IMO though. Implying that all Grizzly tools are better than all Jet, Rikon, and yes, even Craftman, seems like a grossly inaccurate generalization.

Mac McQuinn
02-01-2009, 2:17 PM
[quote=John Durscher;1036912]I've got a Rikon, I've had it a few years. It is okay, but the wheels on mine aren't in the same plane so the blade won't run in the middle of both wheels. There doesn't seem to be any way to adjust this.

You can pull one of the pulley/wheels off and space them out with shim stock to get a true running plane. While you have the wheels off, you can check the bearings for dryness & lube too.

My guess is with the popularity of the Rikon in the last couple years, you will see companys like Carter tooling up with attachments/upgrades.

All things considered, I wish I had purchased the Jet, only because add ons are readily available.

The Jet is a good machine as I'm sure your Rikon is too. Woodcraft sells a lot of Rikons so i expect some upgrades to surface soon. If Rikon has a tech line, I'd contact them about the blade alignment issue to seek a fix.

Good luck,

Mac