PDA

View Full Version : Now thats a chisel

Gary Herrmann
01-30-2009, 6:58 PM
Think crocodile Dundee.

Came across a rusty 3" slick that turned out to be a Greenlee. Wire wheel and belt sander for the rust and flattening. Lapped the back and sharpened the bevel.

Put 5 coats of blo on what turned out to be reasonably figured cherry. 14.25" of steel, total is 31". Epoxyed in the handle.

It cleaned up pretty well, although you can't tell from my horrendous photography skills.

harry strasil
01-30-2009, 7:08 PM
You forgot the shoulder holster and laser sight. BTW, nice shoulder plane. I love my slicks!

Alan DuBoff
01-30-2009, 7:26 PM
I feel so naked without a slick...:o

Chris Padilla
01-30-2009, 7:34 PM
So how did the workout go with the slick?! It looks pretty buff! ;)

Tom Sontag
01-31-2009, 3:40 AM
That is pretty cool. That handle looks right at home. Nicely done.

This vague "came across" statement interests me a little. Ebay? Flea market find? Timber frame barn raising item "left over" from when everyone else went to lunch? ;)

I don't suppose there are too many uses for one of these in the average woodshop. Found a use yet?

Michael Gibbons
01-31-2009, 7:47 AM
Slick? I thought it was a canoe paddle!

Jim Dunn
01-31-2009, 8:48 AM
Gary I agree, that's a boat paddle:)

Nice find is it a wall hanger?

Gary Herrmann
01-31-2009, 9:47 AM
We went to a carving show off Manchester and I saw a sign for an estate sale after. Woodworking tools were mentioned, so off we went.

It was pretty picked over, but the lady said her father used a lot of "handmade" tools, so I poked around. As the fam was getting impatient I looked under a bench and saw this thing. Didn't know what it was until I picked it up.

It was rusty, and I guess the lady wanted things to move. $5.

I told SWMBO I could use it, but realistically I doubt it. Maybe when I finally make a M&T workbench. So it will probably hang on a wall for awhile.

David Keller NC
01-31-2009, 9:58 AM
There's still quite a few "traditional" Woodworkers that use these. Primarily lap-strake boat builders. Someone that's good with one of these can fair a plank far faster than with a plane - I've seen it done, and it's impressive.

Suspect everyone may know this, but a sharp slick with a socket handle connection can easily be a "toe-lopper" Just like socket-handle chisels, the wood shrinks in low humidity and allows the metal portion to slide out and head to the floor - cutting edge down. I've heard speculation that the reason most of these did not have a cross-pin to prevent that is that they wouldn't fit in an average toolbox, so taking it apart at the end of the day was useful.

Douglas Brummett
01-31-2009, 10:31 AM
Definitely a two handed tool. Very cool. Here I was thinking my 1.5in was a big chisel :)

James Carmichael
01-31-2009, 11:00 AM
You won't need the weight bench if you're gonna be using that thing.