PDA

View Full Version : Bowl #4, still lots to learn

Greg Ketell
01-30-2009, 6:53 PM
Well this one didn't blow apart so that is some improvement. It is a Walnut Bowl turned from a chunk of old rotting root ball that a neighbor brought over to me. It is 4-1/2" tall and 6-1/2" diameter and the wall thickness it between 1/8" and 3/32" thick. It is finished with 2 coats of sanding sealer and then 6-8 coats of Deft Gloss Lacquer.

http://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=108564&stc=1&d=1233358703

http://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=108565&stc=1&d=1233358721

The outside sides turned out pretty well. The foot Almost cost me the bowl again so is really rough and the inside is atrocious.

http://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=108568&stc=1&d=1233358721

Some of it is due to the wood being punky, I'm sure (I hope). The inside was turned with really sharp tools (1/4" bowl gouge and 3/4" bowl gouge (**) (the only gouges I have right now)) but I still got a ton of tear out. Any suggestions on how to get a smoother finish?

(**) Interesting detail I just discovered. The 3/4" gouge is a Thompson and is measured based on the diameter of the shaft. The 1/4" is a Robert Sorby and they measure based on the width of the flute. If I go on the diameter of the shaft the Robert Sorby is a 3/8" gouge. Seems like the difference in measuring methods would make it really hard on those who order on-line. Kinda like a box of chocolates, you never know what your are going to get until you open the package.

GK

Dennis Ford
01-30-2009, 7:10 PM
The wood looks good and the form is great. Keep this one! Getting a clean cut on the inside is harder to do than the outside but it will get easier with practice. Try a bowl gouge with a traditional grind and short bevel (high angle?) on the inside of bowls. This will make it easier to maintain bevel contact and get a clean cut. I use an irish grind with a longer bevel (~45 deg) on the outside of bowls (removes wood faster).

Steve Schlumpf
01-30-2009, 7:22 PM
Looks pretty good Greg! The inside of a bowl can be challenging and you really have to watch the angle you hold your bowl gouge to prevent tear out. Other option is to use a heavy round nose scraper with very light cuts! Stick with it - it does get easier with time!

Roger Wilson
01-30-2009, 7:33 PM
The form is nice.

As for the tear out you should try power sanding the bottom. As Bill Grumbine says 80 grit sandpaper is just a tool like any other woodturning tool. You don't need to buy an expensive drill. Harbor Freight has close quarters drills (right angle) priced from $20 to $40 depending on sales. You could also just buy a cheap $20 electric drill and use that. It works fine.

I've gotten tear out on the bottoms of some pine boxes and it helped to use a square scraper, very delicately. But 60 grit then 80 grit sandpaper should handle the tear out as well.

Jim Kountz
01-30-2009, 8:17 PM
Looking good, I love walnut. I still get tear out on the inside too but like Steve said a scraper can smooth things out fairly easy.

Wally Dickerman
01-30-2009, 10:35 PM
As others have said, 80 grit sandpaper on the tearout wood. However, the results will be better, quicker and easier if you apply oil when sanding with the heavy grit. I use regular finishing oil. You'll be pleased with the results. Oil tends to darken the wood and if that's a problem, use a soft wax such as Johnson's paste wax.

Wally

alex carey
01-30-2009, 10:38 PM
I like it, nice form. like others said just ue a low grit paper.

Leo Van Der Loo
01-30-2009, 11:12 PM
Try thinned shellac or wax in the bottom grain and then use a SHARP heavy scraper, taking light cuts, just like Steve recommends, keep putting the grain filler/stiffener on and keep your scraper sharp, edge only last seconds, maybe 10, after that a good sanding with whatever grit it takes :eek: :)

Bernie Weishapl
01-30-2009, 11:14 PM
Great looking bowl. Form looks good. Buy you a Harbour Freight angle drill and then get some hook & loop sanding disc. I also got the extension for deep bowls. I like the 2" and 3". 80 grit will take it right out and then follow you sizes up from there. As others have said I spritz some water on the bad spots then make a finial cut. Generally takes about 90% or better out.

robert hainstock
01-31-2009, 8:51 AM
And have found that the scraper does the best cleanup job. Very nice form Greg, That size bowl sits next to my easy chair and holds several sweet treets, (sometimes).:):)
Bob

Greg Ketell
02-23-2009, 1:39 AM
I wanted to thank everyone that recommended the 80 grit gouge. I went and bought a 1" sanding pad for my drill and went from 80 to 320 and then used carnuba wax and 0000 steel wool.

http://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=111073&stc=1&d=1235371048

The inside is now MUCH smoother. The walnut is still not "finishing" well so has open pores which absorbed the wax without it melting so there aree little spots of orange carnuba in each pore. But I am MUCH MUCH happier with it now.

What do you all recommend for finishing very porous woods?

GK

Robert McGowen
02-23-2009, 1:47 AM
I like the form of your bowl. Everything that you are asking questions about will be second nature soon. It looks like your learning curve is going straight up!

Dewey Torres
02-23-2009, 2:12 AM
Greg,
I have not tried a bowl yet but I hope my 40th is as good as your 4th!

Congrats!

David Christopher
02-23-2009, 11:29 AM
good loohing bowl Greg. its allready been said but a power sander works wonders