PDA

View Full Version : mounting G0440 to stand ???

Rick Moyer
01-30-2009, 5:47 PM
Here is my problem: You are supposed to assemble most of the cyclone unit, then slide the assembly into the stand while they are both laying down. That I got accomplished. Then you fasten the 4 mounting brackets to the stand and then, with help, lift the whole unit vertical. Well I can only get half the bolts lined up because the brackets seem to be made so that they give a little with the weight of the cyclone, which would probably allow them to line up better, but on it's side the holes don't line up with the brackets.
I suspect I'll either have to get help to upright the thing before putting the rest of the bolts in, or maybe take the motor off the top so I can right it myself. I'm hoping someone here has done this already and could advise.

btw, Grizzly tech said they have the luxury of assembling these upright, so I suspect that is my problem.

Fred Hargis
01-31-2009, 8:03 AM
I don't have that unit, but did run into some similar problems installing my Oneida. I wonder if you could use some stout metal C-clamps to hold the pieces where the bolts won't line up; until you get it upright?

Carl Hunsinger
01-31-2009, 2:42 PM
Rick-

I assembled my G0440 onto the stand, per the Grizzly manual. I don't recall having any major problems. I did this part by myself. Then I had a friend help me to lift the thing onto its (hockey puck) feet. Whew - I'm glad that part's over.

Carl

glenn bradley
01-31-2009, 3:36 PM
I may be picturing this wrong but could you use a large punch to align the parts? I mean by placing it through the misaligned holes and levering them into position, not banging on it ;-)

Rick Moyer
01-31-2009, 4:08 PM
Carl, are you saying you assembled the motorhousing/intake barrel/funnel assembly, along with the 4 collector mounting brackets, then slide that unit into the stand (while on it's side), and had no problems lining up the collector mounting braket holes? I wonder if I may have a problem, or maybe I need to double check the instructions again.

Glenn, I tried making the holes line up (used my biggest Phillips head screwdriver) but to no avail.

I'll try to post a pic later. had hoped someone else had similar issue and could advise.

Note sure if this link is Ok (t.o.s.) if not, delete; but Figures 11 + 12 show what I'm talking about.
http://grizzly.com/images/manuals/h7499_m.pdf

Rick Moyer
02-03-2009, 11:07 PM
Nobody else wanna chime in here? I've been waiting for some leveling feet to arrive so I haven't done any more with this yet. Feet should be here tomorrow, then I'll try to set it upright (If I get some help).

Rick Moyer
02-08-2009, 8:44 PM
I got the assembly upright, still couldn't line things up. here's what the problem probably was. I had decided to use the next biggest size bolts beyond those recommended (3/8 instead of 5/16) as the bigger size fit into the holes and I felt they would be stronger/better. Well apparently that was not a good idea. Once I put the "correct" size bolts in the respective places I was able to get everything lined up and fastened. I really don't like putting in a smaller bolt than the optimum size that fits the hole but that is how Grizzly spec'd the fasteners in this case. I don't understand WHY they wouldn't just have the holes line up and use a 3/8 bolt in a 3/8 hole:(?! Oh well, it's together now. I still have to design and get the requisite ducting.

Anyone using the stand also using the recommended footpads??