PDA

View Full Version : Cryptex Prototype

Greg Ketell
01-30-2009, 5:32 PM
Ok, I'm taking a wee bit o' liberty with this posting. There is some Turning in making the 4 end-cap rings but the rest of this beast is all flat work involving pretty much every tool in the work shop. I hope you allow me to get away with it since this is the only forum I visit...

Ever since my son read The DaVinci Code in 6th grade he has wanted a cryptex. He even did a rough design of his own creation so he could make it. This year he took an Advanced Studies class that let him pretty much do what he wanted as long as he did research, did a write up, and did a project. He chose the cryptex. He and I designed it and built it pretty much from scratch starting with his plans and enhancing them and filled in all the missing parts. This was implemented as a prototype so we took a short cut in using the PVC for the central tubes since we couldn't figure out how to make the tubes from scratch in the time we had left.

http://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=108562&stc=1&d=1233353367

http://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=108561&stc=1&d=1233353359

It is 6-1/2" long and 4-/14" diameter and is made out of Walnut and Bloodwood.

There are seven combination rings each with 27 possible entries resulting in over 10.4 Billion possible combinations.

This is the architecture of the beast:
http://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=108560&stc=1&d=1233353359

You have the inner "safe tube" with attached PVC lock teeth that is inset into, and glued to the "outer door". And outer "C" tube that keeps the thing from falling apart while open that is inset into and glued to the back end piece. The "Lock Rings" and the outside "combination rings". You can set the combination to anything you like by loosening a set screw in the lock ring and rotating the combination ring about it then tightening the set screw again. (See first two attachments for more details.)

My son did all the band saw work, all the scroll saw work, all the planer work and I ended up doing all of the tablesaw work and most of the router work on the rings (after he lost his fingernail to the router during a moment of inattention :eek:).

All in all it was a great project and we learned a lot and know lots of areas for improvement if we ever get around to making a "final draft" and "finish" versions.

GK

Chris Padilla
01-30-2009, 7:06 PM
Can someone relocate this to the Turner's Forum please?!

Shoot, Greg, I was about to make you an offer on it! Looks pretty KEWL!! :D

For the folks in the dark, Greg accidentally posted this in the Classified Ads!

Scott Conners
01-30-2009, 7:13 PM
That's a really cool project! How did you do the lettering?

Greg Ketell
01-30-2009, 8:17 PM
Rubber stamps and Gold ink from Michael's.

GK

Paul Douglass
01-30-2009, 8:24 PM
Congrats to your son and you. I don't understand exactly how it works even after you explain with pictures! Pretty darn neat to say the least.

alex carey
01-30-2009, 8:39 PM
That is so cool. Very well done on that.

Greg Ketell
01-30-2009, 9:01 PM
It works exactly like a hollow bike lock. :D

Congrats to your son and you. I don't understand exactly how it works even after you explain with pictures! Pretty darn neat to say the least.

Steve Schlumpf
01-31-2009, 12:27 AM
Greg - pretty impressive piece of engineering! Nice design! That was quite the father-son project! It should do very well in his class!

Greg Ketell
01-31-2009, 12:49 AM
You are right, Steve, it did do quite well. Perfect score on the project which was 2/3 of the grade. Pulled him from an F to a B (he hated having to do the design work. He just wanted to go straight to the shop to make it by trial and error).

GK

Greg - pretty impressive piece of engineering! Nice design! That was quite the father-son project! It should do very well in his class!

hank dekeyser
01-31-2009, 1:01 AM
He sounds like a younger version of me- I drove my Dad crazy. Now it's the other way around.. Very very cool project ! Something else I'll have to make now.

Greg Ketell
01-31-2009, 1:58 AM
Hank, if you do the one Major improvement I have on the books for next time is non-spinning dividers between the combination rings. Right now when you spin one ring it tries to spin the neighboring rings so is a real PITA to get the combination set.
Lots of little further improvements but that would be my #1.

Good luck. It is a great creative challenge project!!

GK

Curt Fuller
01-31-2009, 9:53 AM
That's amazing!

Jeff Nicol
01-31-2009, 11:27 AM
Hank, That is really something! I have always been intrigued by hidden drawers and combo safe places in furniture and woodworking projects. You and your son have done a fine job!

Jeff