PDA

View Full Version : What kind of wood do you think this is?

Ryan Swanson
01-30-2009, 2:16 PM
This is the model for my upcoming project...

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a184/siznimper/IMG_8287.jpg

Chris Padilla
01-30-2009, 2:44 PM
I wanna say maple but I don't think it is. Therefore, I'll go with birch.

It is not oak or ash, I'm pretty sure.

Steve Rozmiarek
01-30-2009, 3:00 PM
Ryan, the paneling sure looks like pine to me, and I think the moldings are too. Maybe a different species though, there a bunch of different ones.

Chris Padilla
01-30-2009, 3:07 PM
Hmmm, yeah, I guess it could be pine but that sure is really really clear pine!

Lee Schierer
01-30-2009, 3:13 PM
It looks like pine to me, but it could be poplar or maple. The walls are definitetely pine. If you can dent the wood with your thumbnail pressed straight in it is definitely pine.

As far as no knots, you get that with clear pine and it's not all that unusual. Here is a cabinet made from clear pine from 10 foot boards. No knots at all. http://www.home.earthlink.net/~us71na/kristinpantry2.jpg

These boards were purchased at the Borg too!

Chris Padilla
01-30-2009, 3:17 PM
Okay, Lee and Steve, you both got me! Lee, that is a stunning example of pine that I would have never thought could be! I wouldn't guess pine in a million years! Thanks for the lesson! :)

Prashun Patel
01-30-2009, 3:28 PM
+1 on pine. Clear pine's not that uncommon. I preface the following with a lot of humilty (I'm not above shopping at the BORG or butt joints!).

The millmarks on the sides the butt joinery and the ragged cross cut make me think this was done with cost in mind, in which case there would have been a huge incentive to use s4s pine from BORG (which you can get quite clear).

Again, I'm not criticizing (it's better than I certanly could do) just theorizing.

I bet that plant hides a suspect crown miter joint... (another personal trick!)

FWIW, I'd check out Gary Katz's site. He does a box molding that's pretty cool. One thing you might consider is creating a 1/8" reveal between the bottom and sides of the 'box', and also using a cove or a smaller crown at the box/wall intersection. Both will help hide imperfections in the stock and the wall.

Ryan Swanson
01-30-2009, 3:37 PM
Hadn't really thought of Pine...It very well could be. My issue becomes that in trying to build my whole set, that I don't want to mix too many woods (fear of finishes matching) and will be trying to use as much 3/4" plywood as possible.

This is the full photo (the earlier photo I posted is the corner above that corner seat). It's from the model home in my community - I posted this photo in another thread asking about difficulty level, but here's the whole thing:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a184/siznimper/PanBonus3.jpg

DEFINITELY something that was done with cost in mind, I'd assume. Seeing as this is the model home, they probably wanted to get this in there to look passable with the smallest possible cost (since they eventually have to sell this).

Bill White
01-30-2009, 5:04 PM
I CERTAINLY would not have used the white baseboard. Cabs look nice, but the base really detracts.
You can also get color similar to that with alder. Doesn't have the heavy, grained look.

Bill

Steve Rozmiarek
01-30-2009, 5:46 PM
Don't know about the prices for clear pine anywhere else, but the stuff I buy for drawer sides is not cheap. Red oak is cheaper. $5+ per bf, and I'm not too far from where some of this grows. Bargains can be had though if you are patient.

Sonny Edmonds
01-30-2009, 7:28 PM
It's tree wood.
Sheesh! :rolleyes:

Jim Kountz
01-30-2009, 8:44 PM
Look like stained pine to me. My supplier has gads of this stuff in widths up to 18". He lets me have it for about $1.50/ft.

Cheap stuff really.

Ryan Swanson
01-30-2009, 9:03 PM
Went to HD tonight and I think I'll be going with select pine for the trim and all face surfaces...what plywood would work best for the cabinets and shelves to stain closest to select pine? At a quick glance, I saw Birch, Maple, Poplar, and Oak (And I really dislike Oak).

Steve Rozmiarek
01-30-2009, 9:32 PM
Look like stained pine to me. My supplier has gads of this stuff in widths up to 18". He lets me have it for about $1.50/ft.

Cheap stuff really.

Aaarrrghhhh! I'm getting hosed on lumber prices again!

Joe Chritz
01-31-2009, 10:51 AM
My guess is pine for the walls and likely birch or maple for the mouldings. It could be pine but the grain is kinda wavy and I haven't seen that much in the clear pine I used in my basement.

You could build from maple and match that so it would take a very experienced person to ever tell.

Joe

Dennis Hook
01-31-2009, 12:52 PM
One guess for hemlock

Russ Sears
01-31-2009, 2:40 PM
I'm pretty sure that's Ivis Plasticus. Looks like it's still green to me.

Steve Rozmiarek
01-31-2009, 3:13 PM
It looks like pine to me, but it could be poplar or maple. The walls are definitetely pine. If you can dent the wood with your thumbnail pressed straight in it is definitely pine.

As far as no knots, you get that with clear pine and it's not all that unusual. Here is a cabinet made from clear pine from 10 foot boards. No knots at all. http://www.home.earthlink.net/~us71na/kristinpantry2.jpg

These boards were purchased at the Borg too!

Nice cabinet Lee! I like the sharp profiles.