PDA

View Full Version : Smith & Son Spokeshave

Jim Visser
01-30-2009, 1:50 PM
Yep, it's me again...

I bought a Smith and Son 2 1/8" bladed flat spokeshave at an antique barns today for $6.00. The mouth is a bit chippped, but nothing a good file won't fix. The blade is in good shape. Bottom line, it's a good user. But, I'm just curious. Has anyone ever heard of a tool maker by the name of Smith & Son?

Thanks,

Jim

John Goodridge
01-30-2009, 11:54 PM
I have a "duplex" spokeshave, a flat portion next to a concave portion marked "Seymour Smith & Son"

Bill Houghton
01-31-2009, 10:56 AM
Can't recall if I donated it somewhere or what, but I don't think I have it anymore.

There were a lot of hardware stores and similar businesses that did "badge engineering" - contracted with one of the major makers to produce a tool and then stamped the hardware store name on it. I always assumed that's what I had; for some reason, I always pictured the store in New York City.

Dave Anderson NH
02-01-2009, 8:09 PM
Seymour Smith & Son worked in Worcester MA from 1850 to 1856 and in Sharon CT from 1856 to 1866. They finally ended up in Oakville, CT and were in business from 1866 to 1966. They made at least 6 different styles of all metal spokeshaves. They often supplied spokeshaves to
Sargen the planemakers though Sargent mostly supplied their own blades. 3 of the 6 styles of Smith shaves were copies of Batchelder designs.

For further information and a complete rundown read:

Manufactured and Patented Spokeshave & Similar Tools by Thomas Lamond.