PDA

View Full Version : Providence Woodcraft?

JohnT Fitzgerald
01-30-2009, 1:28 PM
Anyone here frequent the Providence Woodcraft?

Maik Tobin
01-30-2009, 1:50 PM

Not really in Providence. It's in East Greenwich. I am not a frequent visitor, but I have been there.

JohnT Fitzgerald
01-30-2009, 4:20 PM
Close enough I guess - same store. The WC site listed it as East Greenwich, but I saw another page listing it as "providence".

any feedback? thoughts? Can't say I've ever been to a Woodcraft. I plan on just going and "browsing", but with all the posts lately that indicated these stores are only as good as the people there (makes sense), I thought I'd ask.

Jason White
01-30-2009, 4:42 PM
Have been there once. It's in a strip mall, as I recall.

Why, what about it?

Jason

JohnT Fitzgerald
01-30-2009, 4:58 PM
Why, what about it?

Um - nothing specific. just wondering what experience has been with it. feedback on size, selection, organization, people, advice, etc etc etc.

Michael Poller
01-30-2009, 5:17 PM
John,

Not sure where in SE Mass you are but I have been to the Woburn location a few times and the staff have always been helpful.

There is also a Rockler in Cambridge on Mass Ave that is nice. Again, the staff there have always been helpful.

- Mike

Jason White
01-30-2009, 5:41 PM
Decent selection of larger woodworking machines (tablesaws, bandsaws, etc.).

Other than that, it's like any other Woodcraft store.

JASON

Um - nothing specific. just wondering what experience has been with it. feedback on size, selection, organization, people, advice, etc etc etc.

Jason White
01-30-2009, 5:44 PM
Ditto on the Woburn store. Nice, knowledgeable people. Not much in the way of larger-sized machines. They do have a pretty decent selection of Festool stuff and hand tools.

Jason

John,

Not sure where in SE Mass you are but I have been to the Woburn location a few times and the staff have always been helpful.

There is also a Rockler in Cambridge on Mass Ave that is nice. Again, the staff there have always been helpful.

- Mike

JohnT Fitzgerald
02-01-2009, 9:35 AM
thanks everyone. I did hit the Providence store yesterday - it was good. not as big a selection of machinery as I'd hoped, but a good inventory of supplies and "accessories" and such. Maybe I'll trek to Woburn next weekend...

Ron Knapp
02-01-2009, 10:58 AM
Woburn store is a lot smaller.

Have you tries Burns in Fall River?

JohnT Fitzgerald
02-01-2009, 1:01 PM
No, I haven't - that's on my "list" though. Problem is there aren't many places "close" to me (Burns, Woodcraft/Prov and Woodcraft/Woburn all are about the same distance). Beaver Woodworking in Brockton is pretty close (maybe 15 mins), but isn't open Sundays and closes at 1 on Saturdays, so I wanted to scope out other places.

Ron Knapp
02-01-2009, 4:59 PM
I had some bad experiences at Beaver so I tend to stay away from there if I can. There is a Rockler in Cambridge and one further north in Danvers. There is Woodcraft just over the border in Newington, NH. I believe they also own the Providence store. Both Woodcraft Newington and Providence stores have treated me very well. There is a store called Black Bear Tool & Supply in Canton Ma. They are a little more contractor oriented and I haven’t been there in awhile but you may find what you’re looking for there.

JohnT Fitzgerald
02-01-2009, 5:10 PM
Thanks for the tips. unfortunately, NH and even Cambridge would just take too long to get to.

I've been to Beaver a couple times just to browse - never really dealt with the people there.