PDA

View Full Version : Tool Opinions Please...

Chris Kehl
01-30-2009, 12:17 PM
Everyone,

Since I got a little burned on my unisaw purchase:(, thought I would put this one up for thoughts... I have an opportunity to purchase and old craftsman 6-1/8" jointer (older cast iron), older craftsman 10" radial arm saw, and a Powr-Kraft lathe with various turning hand tools for $400. All are in working condition, and all are tools I don't have in my shop yet. Thought it would be an affordable way to get started till I can upgrade in the future. Any thoughts or experience with these?

Jonathan Spool
01-30-2009, 12:26 PM
Although I am looking to upgrade to a 12" jointer, I am still using my old Craftsman 6"er. Its probably the same cast model you are reffering to.
As long as the blades are sharp, and you keep the length of what you are running reasonable. It will do a good job. On mine the tables are flat and co linear, adjustemnts are still smooth. The fence needs to be re-squared if I ever move it, but that takes a few seconds. If your work is small, and boards are short, it should do fine for a while. I have ruined too much good wood on bad saws to make a comment on Craftsman saws.
Jonathan

Ray Phillips
01-30-2009, 2:04 PM
I had an old Craftsman 6 1/8 jointer and it worked pretty good. It is heavy. I did not like the fence squaring set up but maybe I did not have it tight enough. I do own an older RAS and I use it alot. I have to tune it every once and awhile but I do that when I don't have a project and that gives me something to do in my shop. As far as the lathe I can't speak for it. If it is decent I don't think you can go wrong with paying $400.00 for all three tools plus lathe tools. Lathe tools can cost any where from $50.00 dollars a set to hundreds of dolllars per tool. When you are ready to upgrade from these tools you can probably get close to what you paid for them. Go for it. Thats my .02

Chris Kehl
01-30-2009, 2:39 PM
Thanks guys, I thought it sounded like a good deal but wanted to make sure.

Bill White
01-30-2009, 5:08 PM
I agree with Ray.
Bill