PDA

View Full Version : Need help

Bjorn storoien
01-30-2009, 11:26 AM
Hi

I have a pls 4.75 and im having a strange problem .

I have just finished a job with 500 anodized pens and ran into problems i dont understand .

i made a jig and adjusted the height and tried to find the best settings with no luck bad result and banding (stripes ).

Then i put 5 pens along the ruler adjusted Z on the left one and started ,
the intension was to do one at a time and adjust settings but i started all in one run .
the result was strange : the first pens on the left side of the table was really bad but the 2 last ones where good !

all in one run at 25 p 80s 750 ppi

I had to do all 500 in that exact space on the table 2 at a time to get a good enough result .:)

i have tried to put a acrylic strip along the ruler and engrave narrow (0,5 mm) line at 10 power 80 speed

the result is good at the right end of the table but fades to nothing from center to the left side .

Any ideas anyone

Bjorn

Norway

Mike Null
01-30-2009, 11:31 AM
My first thought is that the table is not level. Move the laser head to various spots on the table and measure with something accurate. A couple of millimeters can make a real difference.

Could it be that the jig is not flat?

Mike Mackenzie
01-30-2009, 11:35 AM
I believe it is as Mike states focus to the surface of the table using the focus tool then turn off the system and check the table in different areas with the focus tool. When the system is off you can move the head around by hand.

Margaret Turco
01-30-2009, 11:37 AM
It sounds like on the run with 5 pens you did not use the jig, is that correct? If you're engraving very close to the left side of the table you might try slowing down to 60-65 speed. Otherwise like Mike said, the table may not be level.

Bjorn storoien
01-30-2009, 11:43 AM
Hi

i have checked the table and it is level

And yes i ran 5 pens along the ruler with no jig and good clearance to the egde of the table

Bjorn

Mike Mackenzie
01-30-2009, 11:47 AM
Inspect your optics and then check your alignment. How old is the laser system? Have you tried to place other materials in the same spots and use the same settings to see how that marks? Does it engrave on other items correctly?

What version of software are you running?

Bjorn storoien
01-30-2009, 12:23 PM
Alignment is checked optics checked

brand new system installed 26 12 08

driver version 5.24 38

I have tried to put an acrylic piece along the ruler and engraved at low power to see what happened

the result was good from pos 370mm to 550 mm
From the left side to pos 370 the engraving gradually gets better and then it fades away after pos 550 .

i have apicture ill try to post it

Bjorn storoien
01-30-2009, 12:25 PM
on the picture you can see the closest line that fades towards the left side

Bjorn

Mike Mackenzie
01-30-2009, 12:37 PM
Bjorn,

You may be experiencing a power issue or laser tube problem. Reconnect the plug into the laser tube. and see if that helps also try to turn the system on and leave the doors shut for at least 20 minutes. You do not have to run anything just wait about 20-30 minutes and then do this test again. When you run the test listen and see if you hear the fans fluctuating. Then I would contact the service dept. and discuss this with them you may need to replace the laser tube or power supply.

Bjorn storoien
01-30-2009, 1:01 PM
ok i`ll do that

i contacted my rep and uls europe this morning but they didnt have any answers and i guess i`ll have to wait until monday

Tank you all for your input

but if anyone has experienced something like this please let me know

Bjorn

Bjorn storoien
03-04-2009, 2:32 AM
Hi

and thanks for the input i have had my share of technical problems so i almost forgot to post the solution to my latest problem .

After talking to ULS Europe and doing every test on the planet they supplied a new laser tube .

This seems to have fixed the problem .

Conclusion unstable laser tube

Bjorn