PDA

View Full Version : I'll be busy this weekend.

Jack Mincey
01-30-2009, 10:30 AM
In setting up my turning shop I bought a good lathe first and have been using it for over a year now. The second big purchase is a dust collector to help keep my 6 year old son and I healthy. I've been using fans and a air cleaner for the last year while saving for this purchase. I ordered a 2 1/2HP unit from Oneida last Friday. I was overwhelmed yesterday when I pulled up to my house and saw a mountain of boxes waiting. I hope to get the collector up and running this weekend, but it will take a few weeks to get all the ducts run. I am mounting it in a back room of my shop to keep the noise down.
Jack
http://usera.ImageCave.com/flyrod444/IMG_0232.JPG.jpg

Jim Becker
01-30-2009, 10:35 AM
Yes, you'll be busy, Jack! Be sure you have at least one additional person available to help you hang that impeller/motor unit. Even if you can lift it yourself over your head (it's darn heavy so you'd have to be a, well...gorilla... :D), it's very awkward to handle singly.

Steve Schlumpf
01-30-2009, 10:40 AM
Wow! That ought to take care of any chip problems you've had up to this point! Hope the install goes smoothly!

Reed Gray
01-30-2009, 12:58 PM
You will love your Oneida system. I have had mine for 5 years now. I had told my boss I was going to take a week off to get it installed. Well, I had a very good show, and got enough orders that I decided to quit concrete work. I do have a remote starter for the DC, I think it was called the Lone Ranger, and opperated on FM band so would start from anywhere without pointing. I have heard that they aren't made any more. If you get one, get a spare remote, and the one by the lathe goes up on the wall, or velcroed to the lathe. I learned this the hard way.
robo hippy

Bernie Weishapl
01-30-2009, 1:38 PM
Congrats Jack. That one should take care of any dust problems.

Jack Mincey
01-30-2009, 2:33 PM
Thanks everyone, I plan on getting my nephew to help me get the collector mounted tomorrow. He is a big strong young man. The duct work will take a while to put together. I've made a port for my lathe out of a 5 gal. water bottle that I can mount to 5" flex hose to use it out board or inboard on my lathe. Reed, I got the remote for the unit, it was free last week with the purchase. It looks like a small car remote. I plan on attaching it to my turning tool rack so it want get lost or sucked up into the collector.
Thanks,
Jack

Richard Madison
01-30-2009, 2:41 PM
Jack,
You may need some SCUBA gear for when that thing sucks all the air out of the shop. No doubt you have considered the question of return air into the shop. Enjoy it in good health.

Jack Mincey
02-02-2009, 8:42 AM
I had a busy weekend. Ended up painting our master bedroom and bath, plus took my son to a birthday party. I was still able to get the Gorilla up and running. I ended up putting the collector up by myself. I bolted every thing together except the cone. I was able to put my right arm into the intake or the collector to grab it so that I could pick it up and sat it on top of the cone, which was sitting on the wall bracket. I have the duct work run through the wall from the back room. I hope to run the duct to my lathe and other tools this week. Putting a block of wood in the door lets the air come back into the shop and the noise in the shop is about half what it is in the back room. I plan on putting louver type vent in the door that open from the air pressure caused by the collector. This machine sure does suck.:D
Jack