PDA

View Full Version : Dog Tags

Gregg Vaughn
01-30-2009, 10:29 AM
After all the great ideas posted when I asked about ideas for a local winery, I thought I would try again for petdeas. The area I live in is rural/suburban for the most part. There are a lot of pets in the areas as well as veterinarians working with domestic pets as well as livestock.
I’ve tried a time or two to generate some business with pet tags (Chewbarka styles), but had very little luck. I found a simple design for an urn that can be made easily with a shaper or router and a table saw and I’m getting ready to test the waters for that item.
I suspect (hope!) that the problem is more of a marketing issue than anything else. Is there a strategy that works well for pet tag marketing? I have not tried to market the urn yet and the increased cost will probably require a different marketing strategy.
It seems that people are willing to readily buy things pet related if you can get plugged into an outlet that connects you with impulse buyers (tags). I notice that the tag machine at the local PetSmart does a fair amount of business.

Martin Boekers
01-30-2009, 11:55 AM
Gregg, you might stop by an visit some pet grooming salons and see what if anything that they offer.

In Saint Louis they have an upscale shop called Groomingsdale. They even offer pet portraits inshop. (good concept get your pet groomed and photographed at the same time)

Marty

Ray Uebner
01-30-2009, 12:30 PM
We do several show a year and always have pet tags we do on site with the Signature 8080. We also do dog and cat shows. These are great places to sell tags. It seems that no matter what kind of show we are doing we always sell dog tags. We also do a splash dog event and sell lots of tags and kennel tags. I also have them in my local vet and sell from there they order from the vet he faxes me the order and I deliver them.

Dave Johnson29
01-30-2009, 3:27 PM
We also do a splash dog event and sell lots of tags and kennel tags. I also have them in my local vet and sell from there they order from the vet he faxes me the order and I deliver them.

Hi Ray,

I was in the throes of setting up to do dog tags but got a bit discouraged by Gregg's comments on them. I am now heartened by your comments and back to work with them. :)

Mind if I ask how much you charge the Vet?

Do they take a commission or do they set their own price to the end customer?

What is a "splash" dog event?

Thanks for any morsels you care to share.

Clara Koss
01-30-2009, 4:38 PM
make samples and set up on a small professional looking display and take to groomers vets and the like.... install flyers on or in display with costs and contact info and check weekly to replentish the flyers...hand deliver flyers to neighborhoods around you but do not place them in the mailboxes as that is illegal.... leave flyers at the market, drycleaners, your doctor and dental office lobby and restaurants that will allow it.... don't be shy and carry a few to give out should you come upon someone walking their pet... call house sitters in the phone book and let them know about your business and network with them....they know who has a pet...good luck...

Ray Uebner
01-30-2009, 4:58 PM
Hi Ray,

I was in the throes of setting up to do dog tags but got a bit discouraged by Gregg's comments on them. I am now heartened by your comments and back to work with them. :).
You can go online and look up splash dog and fine out where their events. It is basically where people take their dog and compete in how far their dog jumps. They set up a large pool and the owners throw their dogs toy as they run to catch it over the water they are measured their jump distance. They are all over the country. The key is to be able to make them on the spot. The vet is my vet and a friend so does not take anything extra. Depending on how many I sell at his store I make a donation to the Animal Shelter that he supports so it is a win win. I charge $9.00 each engraved as many lines as they want or I can fit and still make it readable. I engrave is deep so that it does not ware off, and I get repeat business and referrals from people because of that, and that I don't charge by the line. Hope this helped.

Dave Johnson29
01-30-2009, 5:34 PM
I engrave is deep so that it does not ware off, and I get repeat business and referrals from people because of that, and that I don't charge by the line.

Hi Ray and Clara,

Ray:
Thanks for sharing that. I am not sure how to go about "deep" on the aluminum tags as the best my laser will do is remove the anodized color. Do you mean you use plastic ones? I love the idea of donating to a shelter at the Vet. I do not have pets but will approach the Vet with that suggestion.

Clara:
I live in a small country town so a lot of what you are suggesting will not apply, but you have given me something to ink about adapting to this area.

Ray Uebner
01-30-2009, 6:53 PM
They do have plastic dog tags but find they do not last and most are not happy with them for that reason. I engrave all my tags on a rotary engraver with 4 or 5 passes. I use aluminum and brass tags. I would think but have never tried lasering them as I can not take my laser to shows. You could take orders at shows but find people like to take them with them or put them on their pet right away when you are at a show. One advantage to being local is that if they order through a pet store that has to send them out they take to long to get them back. I guess you could use cemark to do them with the laser it might make the last longer.

Dave Johnson29
01-30-2009, 7:54 PM
I engrave all my tags on a rotary engraver with 4 or 5 passes. I use aluminum and brass tags.

Thanks Ray.

I am not sure how long the anodized tags will last on a busy-dog tag. :)

I am not in the engraving business per se, just trying to find my niche with the laser.

Scott Challoner
01-30-2009, 9:05 PM
I've found the aluminum tags break pretty easily (at least the dogbone shaped ones on hyper Black Labs). I usuall just do them for neighbors, but from now on, I plan on getting stainless tags from McMaster and use Cermark.
As far as urns... Take them to the vets. They are typically open to new revenue streams and they are usually the last person to see your pet alive. Not to seem insensitive, but this makes for a good emotional purchase. This is likely a good place for Laserbuzz stuff too.
There is also likely a pet crematorium in the area. We have two within 10 miles of me and they have a showroom too. ALL pets euthanized at the vet's go through them. The crematorium I deal with says he cremates about 50 animals a week. Of course, not all people want the remains back.
I make a 5X7 box and use marble for the top so I can engrave a photo on it although I want to go more toward stock breeds rather than actual photos. Most pictures people take themselves are pretty bad. Last year, I had to do a white poodle sitting in a snowbank. Before that, I did a white poodle sitting on a white shag carpet. You get the idea.

Ray Uebner
01-31-2009, 2:21 PM
Sometimes you have to think outside the box. I do a lot of different things and do a lot of custom items. We just made some custom items on the laser for an RV groups 20 anniversary. I do a lot of Laser Buzz items and they sell well I have also modified them to fit what is needed. I have done Police Dept Badge wall tributes, earrings, etc all from wood on the laser. So just keep thinking and trying you will find what works for you. This forum will help.

Ray Uebner
01-31-2009, 2:35 PM
Another item we do is a stock bread picture lasered on a rock with their date and whatever else they want on it. The rocks are free just pick up a rock and laser. Make sure the rock has at least on flat side and you are on your way. I have done several of these for people that have lost their pets. We also do them for businesses with their name and logo on the.

Bill Cunningham
01-31-2009, 10:05 PM
I supply one groomer with a custom colour filled zinc tag. I then personalize them for the dog but going hot and slow on the zinc which turns black (like cermark) then I clear coat them to hold the etching.. They seem to stand up quite well, this groomer has given out hundreds of them. I get mine from ATDesigns...

Angus Hines
01-31-2009, 11:31 PM
It really is all about the Hokey Pokey.....You can always spot a Buffett fan.

Got a link to AT Designs?

Dave Johnson29
02-01-2009, 7:36 AM
It really is all about the Hokey Pokey.....You can always spot a Buffett fan.

Not sure I have tasted the Hokey Pokey Angus, but I love the Mapo Doufu at the Chinese Buffett in Show Low.

Got a link to AT Designs?

:), er serious? You must have overeaten at the Buffett. Here ya go...

http://www.atdesigns.com/

Gregg Vaughn
02-01-2009, 8:33 AM
Again, all great information and ideas ... Thanks everyone. I found a good seller for me that I just posted on another thread for pilot certificates .... hopefully some of you will get good out of it.