PDA

View Full Version : Layed Off

Ross Lowry
01-30-2009, 8:31 AM
Well I just got my warn notice from work today, so in 60 days I am going to have to completly rely on my laser engraver.
Your prayers will be appretiated!

travis howe
01-30-2009, 9:21 AM
Best of luck Ross. At least you have something to fall back on w/ that laser!

Stay positive.

Travis

ROY DICK
01-30-2009, 9:27 AM
Ross,

Prayers for you and yours. And good luck with the venture.

Roy

Dan Hintz
01-30-2009, 9:39 AM
At least they were kind enough to give you serious advance notice... 60 days is significant. Many people walk in one day and find their computers locked. :eek:

Good luck with the biz, and I hope you're able to get everything together in time to keep a useful income stream.

Scott Challoner
01-30-2009, 10:04 AM
Good luck Ross. I was laid off two weeks before our second son was born so I can appreciate the stress. Hopefully, it will be a blessing in disguise and your business will really take off.

Mike Null
01-30-2009, 10:10 AM
Ross

Best of luck.

How about filling out your profile so we know where you're located.

Dave Johnson29
01-30-2009, 10:19 AM
Well I just got my warn notice from work today, so in 60 days I am going to have to completely rely on my laser engraver.

Hi Ross,

I have been my own boss (and boss to others) for more than 30 years. The biggest hurdle I had was taking that first step to realize I did not need a steady job to survive. This may be a blessing in disguise.

Set goals and stay focused on them and when it gets tough and people around you are saying, "it is time to quit and get a job," you will almost be there. That is the test-point.

Forge beyond there and I assure you, you will never work for anyone else again. The people that fail in these ventures are the ones that quit at that test-point and it is easy to do because it can be really tough right then.

Good luck and remember you have a great bunch of colleagues and friends here to help push you along if you feel things are bogging down.

I wish you EVERY success in the coming year.

Paul Brinkmeyer
01-30-2009, 10:56 AM
I got my "notice" about 2 years ago, I thought I was lucky, I got 5 days notice, but lost my retirement because of my age. ( I call myself retired, as I have no plans on returning to the corp. world.)
I put a plan together and opened a store in the local mall.
I have kept a roof over my head and food on the table, so it is not all bad.

We are still trying new things looking for the right product for our area, and keeping an open mind for all the new ideas we see.

I am at one of the test-points Dave talked about at this time. Our lease is up, and the new mall management is not very willing to work with people. In fact there has been a very fast exit of shops and services from this mall. Plus as we have settled in, some of the equipment we have bought was not ideal, but we have managed to make it all work together somehow.

If we find a sutable location in the next few months we will move and set up and continue. (Our current home is currently not an option.)

All in all, I still am glad I got my notice and I enjoy working on my own.

Doug Griffith
01-30-2009, 11:02 AM
Good luck Ross,
I've been on my own for about 10 years now and if I can give one piece of advice it's to be proactive in getting work. It won't come knocking on your door. Especially now.

Cheers,
Doug

Rags Alan Ragland
01-30-2009, 11:20 AM
Ross
My prayers and hopes are with you. Many of us have gone through what you are going through, and most of us have made it just fine. This is just another chapter in your life and now it is going to be what you make of it. Keep your spirits up, and do not get the dreaded depression demons get to you. You made money for someone else not it's your turn to reap the rewards of your own efforts. Try as you may to remain positive even in this economy. You have a great tool to get you going so utilize it and ask for help when you need it. We all need help at one time or another.
Dr. Rags

Ed Hazel
01-30-2009, 11:21 AM
I managed a body shop until 02 when I was replaced by the owners son (my God son), it was a surprise.
Looking back it was one of the best things that happened to my career. I am now fully self employed or semi retired as my wife calls it and love it some times I work 80 hrs a week sometimes I work 15 -20hrs just depends, it did take a few years to get to the comfortable point.

Frank Corker
01-30-2009, 12:33 PM
Good luck Ross. Believe in yourself and you'll be half way there.

Ross Lowry
01-30-2009, 1:32 PM
Thanks to all for your prayers and great advice.
All I can say is thank God for the Warn Act otherwise I would not of had 60 days notice.
Cessna layed around 600 off the first time, this time was 4600 employees, and they are still having a 7 week furlow and still are talking about possible more layoffs in the future.
Hopefully this economy picks up because its not just the aircraft getting hit!
I am praying for all those that have lost their jobs.

Joe Pelonio
01-30-2009, 2:44 PM
Best of luck finding something or getting called back soon. Around here there's way too much of that going on, Boeing, Microsoft, Starbucks,
and Eddie Bauer to name a few bigger ones. So far our family has been OK, my daughter was in the first round at WAMU but found a new job right away, then just before they would have layed her off she got married and went to Italy with her husband. He's survived the latest round with Boeing, but we are all nervous.

Chris Padilla
01-30-2009, 2:59 PM
This is simply an OPPORTUNITY, Ross! Jump in with both feet! :)

Paul Ryan
01-30-2009, 3:49 PM
Ross,

My prayers are with you. But hopefully in a short time you will feel as I do now, that it was a blessing in disguise. I got laid off in Oct 07 and have been self emplyed ever since. Somedays it is stress fully but you learn to flow with it. But baring some real catastrophy I have no plans to ever return to the normal 8-5 grind. I had a real good 08 but 09 has started off SLOW and dissapointing. As with another poster somedays I work 14 hours the next day 2 hours. It is really nice. My brother is a electrical engineer and got laid off yesterday they gave him 1 hour to clean out his things. I will say the same thing I told him, Keep your head high and it will all turn out better in the long run. God Bless

Derek Rose
01-30-2009, 4:04 PM
Having been through five layoffs, it always got better after each one. Good luck in your search!

Clara Koss
01-30-2009, 4:31 PM
my husband and my son are in the danger zone as well and we don't know when the axe will fall.... i am very sorry that you had this happen and wish you and yours all the best of luck....you are lucky you have woodworking abilities.... if you fill out your profile maybe one of us will hear of a job in your area of expertise in your town and contact you....

Brian Kent
01-30-2009, 5:36 PM
Ross, my prayers are with you.

Maybe you could post some information on what kind of things you can do with your machines. That way I and others can keep an eye out for when we can use your services.

Brian Kent

Bruce Page
01-30-2009, 6:22 PM
Sorry to hear that Ross.
Stay strong, things WILL get better!

John W. Love
01-30-2009, 6:42 PM
Ross, as a veteran of the electronics industry I have been through 6 layoffs. The first one was the hardest emotionally, by the last one I had learned not to spread too many personal things out on the desk. Ya gotta be able to carry it all out in one trip cuz they may not let you have two trips in and out that door lol. After number 4 was when my wife and I decided to get our laser engraver. We knew up front that there was a learning curve and that we would need to practice to get good. Now, it is paying for itself part time while we both work. But, I know that soon there will be another hit on the Tech industry here in Austin, Texas and at least I will be prepared. The next lay off may be my last one as by then I believe I will be able to support myself and pay my fair share of the expenses with our business.
Here we are seeing recent layoffs by Dell, Texas Instruments, 3M, Freescale, National Instruments, and IBM. Those are the big players, there are so many small companies that are laying off a small percentage of their workforce simply because the big guys are doing it and it all rolls down hill. What most people dont think about is that for every job that is lost from one of the big players there are also jobs lost from the smaller companies that supply those big guys.

So, as many others have said before me, Keep your head up, your spirits high, and a positive attitude. Good luck in your business. BTW if you are planning on going for another 9-5, remember it is much easier to find a job when you have one. Start looking now. Don't wait till you are desperate for income. Those that are hiring seem to be able to smell desperation.

Dennis Peacock
01-30-2009, 7:42 PM
Hang tough Ross. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Jim Becker
01-30-2009, 8:35 PM
I'd sad to hear that you're one of the growing number. Things are tough for way too many folks.

It's very true that the 60 day notice is pretty extraordinary. My employer tends to give folks subject to force management about two weeks for a "pencils down" outplacement before going off payroll, but most folks get the immediate heave-ho. Like Chris said, this can be an opportunity, so best wishes to you as you sort things out!

Kevin Arceneaux
01-30-2009, 9:48 PM
Keep your head up.

I got the axe November 15 and managed to get a new one by the middle of December.

glenn bradley
01-30-2009, 10:12 PM
Way too much of this going on. Good luck and keep on pushin'

Kurt Strandberg
01-30-2009, 11:15 PM
I was laid off December 29th and am very bored surfin the net all day, I wish I had a small woodworking business :(

David Freed
01-30-2009, 11:33 PM
I hope things work out for you.

I had been happily self-employed for 15 years until 4 months ago. My other business pulled me through some tough times in the past. Then I decided to start a small woodworking business with 1 employee about 4 years ago. I would be debt free instead of being at the point of bankruptcy now with both businesses drained, working at a long hour-low pay job I hate, if I had not started the woodworking business.