PDA

View Full Version : "Weekend Doin's"-Super Bowl Edition

Karl Laustrup
01-30-2009, 7:40 AM
Friday January 30, 2009

GOOD MORNING "CREEKERS"!

Well, it's here!!! SUPER BOWL XLIII. In Tampa, FL. The Steelers vs. The Cardinals. I'm going with the Steelers as they are my second favorite team after the Packers. I am looking forward to a good game.

The weather here has been pretty good this week. Cold, but thankfully that freezing stuff stayed south of us, although I don't wish that ice stuff on anyone. I hope everyone can get to a TV Sunday to watch the game.

It's still a little cold to do anything in the shop so I'll be puttering around in the house until Sunday. Our TV coverage starts at 7AM Sunday morning with our local news. Not sure if I'll stay tuned all day long. I may just tune in when the game starts.

Anyway, what's up in your part of the world? Some odds 'n ends for Saturday? And then Sunday?

Hope your weekend is good and please be SAFE.

Karl

Dale Osowski
01-30-2009, 9:13 AM
Hopefully getting started on a new project. It all depends on what the wife has planed.

Matt Meiser
01-30-2009, 9:21 AM
Working on finishing (as in applying the finish to) the entertainment center. Hoping to do final sanding tonight and clean up the shop so I can stain in the morning and spray USL as early as Saturday evening.

Art Mulder
01-30-2009, 9:34 AM
what? Is there some sort of a ball game on this weekend?

this weekend is probably going to mostly be some puttering around the shop. Got a few techniques I want to try out.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-30-2009, 10:08 AM
Art...it's kinda like hockey but it's played on grass...artificial or real....They have an object.......not a puck....kind of a double-pointed oval sphere....they throw, run with or kick the object...not slap it with a bent stick....they do have goals....a couple of different types.......there are 11 players on the field for each team...most of the time..

So it's kinda like hockey!:rolleyes:

mike johnston
01-30-2009, 11:39 AM
While I'm not a hockey fan what so ever. Any sport played with knifes on your feet, and clubs in your hands sounds pretty cool to me.

MIke

Jim O'Dell
01-30-2009, 1:39 PM
I need to get in the shop and do the cleaning and light reflector builds I didn't get done last weekend due to the temps and my unheated shop. Have a get-together Sat. night with some friends we haven't really seen in about 7 years, even though we both still live here in the same town. Got a lot of catching up to do. Don't know if I'll pay too much attention to Sunday's game or not. Certainly won't watch the pre game festivities. Would prefer to watch the Stars slap the little puck around the ice ;) but I hope to still be in the shop working on my punch list. Jim.

Dewey Torres
01-30-2009, 1:51 PM
I will be finishing 2 projects (large picture frame and small stool repair) and making progress on the Morris Chair and a turning. I will have the game on in the background on the shop TV.

Ken Higginbotham
01-30-2009, 2:01 PM
I'll be playing with my new SC 3hp cabinet table saw. :)

Cleaned and waxxed down the top last night. This afternoon I'm rigging me up a power cord. Then I'm going to try and fine tune the top alignment and get it to .001 :o

Then I'm going to blow a lowe's gift card and get me one of these:

http://www.woodcraft.com/images/products/127245_230.jpg

BOB OLINGER
01-30-2009, 2:05 PM
Made a little progress with a vacation day yesteday ripping rough lumber for stiles and rails for the plantation shutter job. Also, got a small start on resawing in which the thinned down material will go through my new Stop Fox moulding machine for shutter slats. Tomorrow is supposed to be close to 40 degreees so, I hope to put the moulder to task in the garage and get a start on milling shutter slats. Hoping to run the Okie Joe's smoker with some good pork butts on marinade at the same time.

Rod Sheridan
01-30-2009, 2:15 PM
Art...it's kinda like hockey but it's played on grass...artificial or real....They have an object.......not a puck....kind of a double-pointed oval sphere....they throw, run with or kick the object...not slap it with a bent stick....they do have goals....a couple of different types.......there are 11 players on the field for each team...most of the time..

Ken, thanks for the explaining it for us Cannucks.

Played on grass...........In the winter?????? Doesn't that take a lot of shoveling?????;)

Regards, Rod.

Chris Padilla
01-30-2009, 2:34 PM
Hopefully getting started on a new project. It all depends on what the wife has planed.

What kinda wood did she plane for you, Dale? :p

I'll be in the shop as usual working on the Tansu (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=92396) as usual. I'll have the game up on the shop tube but not doing anything special to watch it.

Art Mulder
01-30-2009, 2:39 PM

Hmm, there's pads, helmets, and they fight.

Yup. Lots like hockey.

JohnT Fitzgerald
01-30-2009, 4:18 PM
+1. there's football this weekend? :)

(<<<<------ NE Pats fan here....)

fwiw, I'll probably be rooting for the Steelers.

JohnT Fitzgerald
01-30-2009, 4:22 PM
Don't forget the body armor and helmets.... :)

Carlos Alden
01-30-2009, 4:24 PM
what? Is there some sort of a ball game on this weekend?

this weekend is probably going to mostly be some puttering around the shop. Got a few techniques I want to try out.

Ha. I say to people: "Super Bowl? Nah, not gonna watch it. I don't care for basketball."

Carlos

Barry Nelson
01-30-2009, 5:52 PM
Didn"t know ten pin bowling was still popular:eek:

John Towns
01-30-2009, 8:01 PM
Am in Endicott, NY with my wife and son helping move my daughter and her new husband move into their new house. Going back home on Sunday. My wife an I are from Western PA and are big Steeler fans.
As important as the game might be, I need to work on the queen anne lowboy (tiger maple) that I am making for my daughter. Assembly is complete and I just got approval on the finishing details, so I will be doing that. On Tuesday I go in to the hospital for 2 hip replacements so I will not be allowed in my shop for a bit. Can't wait! (for the new hips and to get back into the shop!)

John

Greg Just
01-30-2009, 8:07 PM
I'm hoping to finish some cabinets I have been building in my workshop. Some much needed storage. I'll turn the tv on about 5:25 (central time) and avoid all the pre-game banter. Go Steelers!

Jim Kountz
01-30-2009, 8:40 PM
Helping a friend with some hickory flooring will take up most of Saturday then its back in the shop that evening and Sunday to put the final touches on a bowl kiln I built. If theres any time left after that I'll do some more roughing and coring.

Jim Becker
01-30-2009, 9:18 PM
Normal equestrian activities on Saturday plus doing a "reference tour" for someone considering using the contractor who did our addition for a similar project. I may get in the shop on Sunday. Don't yet know if I'll watch the game or not, but maybe...

John Sanford
01-31-2009, 12:22 AM
Me, I'l be taking advantage of my locale, consistently the greatest place in the world to watch "the Big Game." We have dozens, nay, hundreds of "Big Game" parties. Can't call it by its name, 'cause the NFL get's testy when other folks, especially folks here in gambling land, use it for commercial purposes. No, I'm not especially concerned with who wins, just going to enjoy the event and hope for a good game.

Saturday, I'll be working on either Flourescent Valley Station, Mountain Line Bypasses, or the Shaker Bookcase.

Bob Childress
01-31-2009, 8:07 AM
Go Cardinals!

I'll be spraying lacquer if the weather holds. Finishing a bedside table (1st of a pair). :)

Rob Diz
01-31-2009, 10:26 PM
Just finished the glue up for a ply carcass for a kitchen island. Normally, I would spend the day tomorrow working on the rails and stiles, but pre-game starts at 11 a.m., and my WIFE has only a few requirements - but one of them is that we watch every Steeler game as a family.

Gotta love that woman. She's a keeper.

GO Steelers.

Her island can wait.

Mike Goetzke
02-01-2009, 2:14 AM
Just kidding...I only have room for a 6" jointer in my garage shop but I face joined some 70x10x4/4 rough sawn red oak with it:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/Projects/Steph%20Bedroom/IMG_2747.jpg

I was pleased with the results. Took about 6 hours to finish 14 drawer fronts (well still need to Tagget USL them - before the game). Maybe it is better to buy finished lumber:eek:, but, I enjoy milling my own lumber.

Mike

Steve Rozmiarek
02-01-2009, 2:50 AM
Hope to finish the feet for my daughters Chippendale style chest of drawers tomorrow, as well as decide once and for all, burl veneer drawer faces, or solid. Also finish sharpening those ten Berg chisels that have been hanging around for months in a sorry state of dull. Might watch a little football, if there is nothing else to do.

Mike Heidrick
02-01-2009, 3:17 AM
Went to Middlebury IN on a woodrun Friday with a friend. Picked up about 85bdft of white hard maple for myself.

Also stopped at Berlands House of tools in Joliet and picked up the Miter T-square attachment for my Dewalt Tracksaw track. The 102" track from Chuck also showed up on Thursday. Today I strengthened the wooden box that 102" track came in and mounted it above my JLT panel rack. It is a great place to store that long section of track and is now kinda like a storage trough.

Also started clearing out the right rear section of my shop and reorganized some tools. More work on that tomorrow.

Thinking about plywood storgae options as well.

Chuck Tringo
02-08-2009, 9:43 PM
Also stopped at Berlands House of tools in Joliet and picked up the Miter T-square attachment for my Dewalt Tracksaw track. The 102" track from Chuck also showed up on Thursday.

How do you like the Miter attachment ? I almost bought one but it looked to be plastic form the pics Ive seen on the net...havent been able to see one in person yet. I did buy a track connector and planned to make a squaring attachment with it and some hardwood, but haven't got there yet.