PDA

View Full Version : I've gone off the deep end

James Carmichael
01-30-2009, 12:22 AM
I gave up trying to chop mortises with a Marples sash mortise chisel (purchased for $2 on eBay when Record tools was liquidated) and ordered a Ray Isles pigsticker from Joel.

5 years ago when I started woodworking, it was to SAVE money by DIY remodeling. Anyone who knew me then as the Cheapest Man Alive would have found the idea of my spending the better part of a c-note on one of the simplest hand tools in the world inconceivable.

I suspect family members are plotting an intervention.

Jeff Bratt
01-30-2009, 12:51 AM
Now you'll be able to compare and decide for yourself whether the cost difference is worth it.

James K Peterson
01-30-2009, 8:55 AM
Please give us a review on the new addition :D I'm planning on buying one of Ray's pigstickers myself (after I suffer some more with my borg chisels awhile longer, just to give myself more appreciation ;))

Ian Gillis
01-30-2009, 9:42 AM
Hi

Just to throw out another possibility, it's possible to find pigstickers on that auction site. I bought some almost full length mortise chisels on eBay UK, and the cost was about CAN $40 a piece landed at my door. I don't have them in front of me now, but I know there were both Marples and Ibbotson in the group.

You may need a bit of patience because the 1/4" and 3/8" are harder to come by, but they're out there.

A couple of tips if you want to go this route. Do your eBay search with the British spelling, "-ise", and ask the seller to write "used hand tool" on the customs declaration. The last bit generally gets the tools I buy into my hands without any import duties or sales taxes.

I'm in Canada, so you mileage may definitely vary. However, if you want to preserve your cheapskate reputation, it's worth a shot ;)

I couldn't turn up anything on the site today, but you can save a search and get the results mailed to you when the items pop up.

Cheers,
Ian

David Keller NC
01-30-2009, 10:36 AM
James - I have them and like them very much, to the point where I decided I didn't need the Lie-Nielsen's I'd purchased previously and sold them. I did get one that was a little "off" from the standpoint of the axis of the blade being non-parallel with the axis of the handle, but Joel cheerfully replaced that one. These things are remarkably tough, and seem to hold an edge quite a bit longer than a few antiques I've been using.

I've posted this before, but one caution to those looking to build a set of these from auction sites or the flea market. Many of these tools, especially the older ones, are not one solid piece of steel (so-called "cast steel" in this instance). Most of the blade is soft wrought iron, with a piece of cast steel forge-welded on the tip to form a cutting edge. This tip isn't all that long on a full-length antique (perhaps an inch to an inch and a half), and many older tools have had the end sharpened to the point where it's past the steel. These tools are useless as users - one whack and the wrought iron edge will fold over.

Originally, a craftsman of the day would just take them to the local black-smith and have them re-steeled, but this was in the era of cheap labor and expensive materials. In today's world, paying a blacksmith to do this would probably exceed the value of the tool several times over.

James Carmichael
01-30-2009, 10:57 AM
Ian,

I do enjoy shopping for bargains and restoring old tools, but being as I have a 6-yo son (also named Ian, per our Scottish roots), my time is somewhat limited. Also, my locale (North Texas) is a barren wasteland for old tools, unless your into oilfield or farm & ranch equipment.

10 years from now when he's too busying chasing girls to want to do anything with dad, I'll get back to old tool shopping & restoration.

Douglas Brummett
01-30-2009, 1:35 PM
Yep, gonna have to use that quote for the signature line :)

Hard to imagine, but at this point there is more money into the hand tools and sharpening equipment than the power tools. Of course now I am, like yourself, contemplating chisels that are actually shaped correctly for their respective tasks at $50-80ea. My wife is gonna hang me if I don't get some more furniture into the house soon.

Jim Koepke
01-30-2009, 3:21 PM
Having patience and casting a wide net can often have great results when searching for tools.

My experience trying to purchase used mortise chisels seemed to take forever. It was about a year. Finally got mine when two were being sold together from the estate of the seller's father. They were a bit beat up, needed new handles, but they were gems in the rough. The applied steel could be seen in the photos and appeared to be of good length.

These were names that most people do not recognize because the two businesses evaporated around the 1820s.

My 5/16 and 3/8 mortise chisels were less than $40. Nobody wanted the unknown ugly ducklings. They have served me well.

No, one can stumble on these deals everyday of the week, unless your name is Lucky the Tool Hunter. But be ready and keep your eyes open, the deals will come along. Keep a couple of $20s folded up in the wallet if you can. Maybe keep it as smaller bills tucked into different parts of the wallet. This may help with the dickering if you pull out two fives and give a look of dismay, the seller may drop the price.

Don't be in a hurry. I picked up a hand full of tools at a yard sale once and thought to myself, "not going to pay more than $5 for this." When it was asked how much, the person said, "how about a buck." I was a little shocked. The seller must have seen this and did not realize it was because of my joy and said, "OK, how about half a buck?" I gave in and said, "OK."

jim

Barry Vabeach
01-30-2009, 9:09 PM
James C. , there is a lot of hype about new tools that isn't fully justified, at least in my opinion. OTOH, the Ray Isles mortise chisel blew me away. It is beatifully made, and the metal used is better than what you will find in old chisels. I chopped out better mortises quicker with it than other competitors I have owned, and though I can't swear to it, I think it chopped a few by itself when I took a break for lunch. Seriously though, I think that it would be tough to find something better, hope you enjoy it. Barry