PDA

View Full Version : Materials for templates

Charles E. Goldblum
06-30-2004, 8:55 PM
I need some advice...

I am building a rocking chair that will involve up to 10 templates. My initial though was to use 1/4" Luaun Ply for the template material, but now I am concerned that it will not last long enough (I intend to keep these templates for a long time.)

Should I go to the trouble and expense of 1/2" Baltic Birtch? Whould I applt a coat of poly to the templates to keep them out of harms way?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Charles

Jim Becker
06-30-2004, 9:00 PM
I generally make my templates out of either 1/4" hardboard or more likely, 1/2" MDF. I sure don't put a finish on them, however. They just hang on the wall until the next time they are needed. (Used a 6 year old one from the NYW Adirondack "template set" this past weekend to replace a part that broke)

Doug Jones
06-30-2004, 9:11 PM
Same as Jim Becker, 1/4" hard board used for templates.

Dan Mages
06-30-2004, 9:14 PM
Another option is plexiglass. Its lightweight and easy to cut.

Dan

Byron Trantham
06-30-2004, 9:17 PM
Another vote for hardboard. :p

Frank Pellow
06-30-2004, 9:22 PM
Hardboard for me too. I have used templates that are more than 20 years old that I made from hardboard and then stored in a dry cool place.

Todd Burch
06-30-2004, 10:29 PM
Charles, if you are only using them as a template for tracing a pattern, hardboard is a good choice.

However, if you want to use these as a pattern for routing for a bearing piloted bit, I would suggest using 1/2" baltic birch, or, coating the edges of the hardboard with epoxy.

Brad Schmid
06-30-2004, 10:54 PM
Charles, if you are only using them as a template for tracing a pattern, hardboard is a good choice.

However, if you want to use these as a pattern for routing for a bearing piloted bit, I would suggest using 1/2" baltic birch, or, coating the edges of the hardboard with epoxy.

Todd,
I like your epoxy idea. I've noticed some wear on some of my 1/2" mdf templates from bearings. I was thinking hdpe tape on the edges, but epoxy sounds cheaper and easier. Thanks for the tip.

Brad

Mark Singer
06-30-2004, 11:29 PM
I use MDF or baltic birch. Bandsaw an 8th over and rout to the template using "T"nuts to hold the template to the peice...some sandpaper keeps it from moving when tightened

David Klink
06-30-2004, 11:59 PM
The templates I've made for the intarsia I've done have mostly been from 1/4 hardboard. I've used 1/2 plywood for routing templates as well.

Charles E. Goldblum
07-01-2004, 8:11 AM
Thanks.

I appreciate the advice. Since I will be using the templates as a router (and robo sander) guide, I thinks I will use 1/2 baltic birch.

Charles

Chris Padilla
07-01-2004, 11:45 AM
(Used a 6 year old one from the NYW Adirondack "template set" this past weekend to replace a part that broke)
Shoddy workmanship, Jim? ;) :p :D

Jim Becker
07-01-2004, 12:20 PM
Shoddy workmanship, Jim?
Naa...but even cypress has its limits when out in the weather 365 days a year. The lower rear seat-back support on one chair cracked when a "larger" visitor was here a couple weeks ago. It let go completely last week when Dr SWMBO sat down and needed to be replaced. Fortunately, the stainless screws come out really easily, so replacing a component on this particular design is a piece of cake, especially when you have templates! :D

Kent Cori
07-01-2004, 4:33 PM
It let go completely last week when Dr SWMBO sat down and needed to be replaced. :D

Okay, Jim does this mean that you had to fix the chair or get an new wife? ;)

Jim Becker
07-01-2004, 4:47 PM
Okay, Jim does this mean that you had to fix the chair or get an new wife?
Fix the chair, smartie! :p

Ian Barley
07-01-2004, 6:19 PM
I use MDF - Usually 6mm (1/4"). Works good for me. Like Jim says - Hang em on the wall and once you've made 'em never get rid of 'em - You will use them again someday.

Chris Padilla
07-01-2004, 7:06 PM
There was an article about Sam Maloof in AW or WOOD and there were a few shots of him in his shop...templates were hanging all over the place...they probably had to move a few to get some decent photos!