PDA

View Full Version : Initial Table Saw Setup

Adam Leone
01-29-2009, 10:39 PM
I finally have to swallow my pride and get some opinions. I bought a new Grizzly Tablesaw a few months ago and all the set up went fine except for setting the adhesive ruler on the fence tube. I expect to add a sacrificial fence that slides over the entire fence and can't whether decide to apply the ruler with or without the sacrificial wood face. Are there are any thoughts or opinions on where to set the zero? Such a simple decision yet I have waffled long enough...

If you are using a sacrificial fence, recommended designs and/or pictures are more than welcome. I found this good one already but there can be no shortage of ideas to stew on. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=99226&highlight=sacrificial+fence

Thanks in advance.

Jim O'Dell
01-29-2009, 11:03 PM
What I did was to buy another peel and stick tape from Rockler. I took the original off (Biese) but kept it. The Rockler tape is narrower. I use it for the regular fence face, because I moved the rails to the right, and needed a longer tape than what came with the fence. Then I put the original on to accomodate the sacrificial fence. Works great as long as I remember which tape is for which fence face!! :D Jim.

Stephen Edwards
01-29-2009, 11:14 PM
I'me probably very old fashioned about setting up the fence. I grew up using an old Craftsman that didn't have a tape on it. Or, if it did it was worn so badly you couldn't see it! I got in the habit of measuring for every fence set up and that's what I do to this day.

Joe Chritz
01-29-2009, 11:14 PM
Just make your sacrificial fence 1" thick.

Then your tape is always right on or 1" off depending. If you then make a stop block to clamp on that is 1" thick you can do the same when doing cutoffs with the fence if needed.

Problem solved.

Joe

Joe Scharle
01-30-2009, 8:08 AM
Just make your sacrificial fence 1" thick.

Then your tape is always right on or 1" off depending. If you then make a stop block to clamp on that is 1" thick you can do the same when doing cutoffs with the fence if needed.

Problem solved.

Joe

Agreed! In fact I use stair tread for fence standoffs, planned/sanded to exactly 1".

Bill Huber
01-30-2009, 9:08 AM
I have my scale set to the fence without the sacrificial wood face on. But I don't really use the scale that much, just to get close.

I measure all my cuts from the blade to the fence and do not rely on the scale. I just use scale to get close to the cut I want, then measure it.

Jamie Buxton
01-30-2009, 9:48 AM
Put on just one tape. Set it to work in the fence configuration you expect to use most. Use a tape measure for the other configuration. In my case, the standard configuration is just the fence. If I need a sacrificial fence for some operation, I add it for that operation only. I also have other occasional additions, like a tall fence for cutting tenons. Again, I add that only when I need it, and don't depend on the fence's tape to help me then.

Adam Leone
02-01-2009, 3:39 PM
Thanks for all your thoughts. I already have Tolpin's book and will probably go ahead with his universal fence. As for the ruler, I'll stick it and keep measuring each cut.

Thanks.

Bill White
02-01-2009, 7:00 PM
I think that you've made a wise decision. What's the saying? "Measure twice, cut once".
Bill:)