PDA

View Full Version : I ain't goina do it no more

Paul Maue
01-29-2009, 10:16 PM
I ain't goina stand in a cold dark garage any more. After the New Year holiday, I decided that I was going to move my lathe to my basement workshop. The first problem is that I'm a pack-rat and tend to save everything. I had to force myself :(to throw out a lot of stuff to make room for what I needed to set the lathe up properly.

Also when I had it in the garage I had a 20" diameter cherry log sitting on the cross brace to add weight to the lathe. After seeing several posts of fellow creekers enclosing their lathe and adding a ballast box, I knew I had to do this also. Enclosing the lathe really stiffened up the those sheet metal legs. When I added 4 -18 x 8 x 3 concrete blocks and two 50lbs bags of sand, its as solid as a heavy cast iron lathe. :D
I also have additional storage underneath for various items. I wonder if I can go get my stuff back and put it in here?

Paul

David Christopher
01-29-2009, 10:25 PM
Man that looks good, and I bet its handy also
BTW Iknow you will be turn more sinse you will be warm

happy turning

George Morris
01-29-2009, 10:28 PM
That worked out well for you looks good. Good luck stay warm! George

Bernie Weishapl
01-29-2009, 10:38 PM
Looks great and will work well. Stay warm.

Steve Schlumpf
01-29-2009, 11:35 PM
Well that looks like a move that really worked out well for you! You get to stay warm, ballast for your lathe should make turning a lot more pleasant and you even managed to add some storage! Nice work Paul! Have fun!

Scott Conners
01-29-2009, 11:45 PM
That looks great! What did you base that grinder stand on? It looks like a really great solution!

Jim Kountz
01-30-2009, 12:29 AM
Nothing like being comfortable when you're trying to "create", looks like this should work out fine!!

ROY DICK
01-30-2009, 10:06 AM
Very nice set up. I really like the lathe stand.

Roy

Paul Maue
02-01-2009, 1:56 PM
I picked up a janitorial cart at a garage sale this summer. I knew right then that I wanted to place the Grinder on top and would be able to roll it around were ever i needed it. I plan on building a base to go were the trashcan normally sits to mount a motor for my Beal buffing wheels. I will also replace the two swivel wheels with ones that lock so the cart doesn't roll around on me.

Paul