PDA

View Full Version : "Kwazy Wodents!"

Jim Becker
06-30-2004, 6:18 PM
So much for the "design" of this feeder! 'Keeps the bigger birds out, but...

Doug Jones
06-30-2004, 6:48 PM
Never does the saying "Where there is a will, there is a way" apply more than with a squirrel and a bird feeder.

Peter Stahl
06-30-2004, 7:25 PM
Jim,

I saw a special on PBS during on of their many fund raisers about squirrels and there aren't any easy ways to keep them out. You need to hang it about 8 feet high in mid air with no trees in jumping distance. The pics you get with your camera are amazing!

Pete

Dennis Peacock
06-30-2004, 8:24 PM
Very nice pic there Jim.!!! Very good quality pic. So I guess you like the new camera? I have squirrels around here....Fox Squirrels and they just love anything I put out for birds, ducks or rabbits.

Jim Becker
06-30-2004, 8:40 PM
Yea, I like the camera. This was taken from about a foot and half away (right next to where mere men stand in the powder room!), though a dirty window pane with the lense fully "zoomed"...about 105mm film camera equivalent. (The smaller CCD in the Nikon makes the 18-70mm lense effectivly a 28-105mm lense) I only adjusted the brightness/contrast slightly in Photoshop Elements before reducing in size from about 3000x2000 pixels to 600 pixels wide and "medium" compression.

Creatures are fun to take pictures of...they can always provide a surprise.

Bill Grumbine
06-30-2004, 9:52 PM
Jim, this gives a whole new meaning to "squirrel cage"! :p So, did he get out or not?

Bill

Jim Becker
06-30-2004, 9:57 PM
Jim, this gives a whole new meaning to "squirrel cage"! So, did he get out or not?He and his two brothers (maybe they're all named Larry?) got in and out with only a little effort. I think these may be young ones as they are barely afraid and still not fat...of course, binging on the feeders will change that. The minor mistake in this one was Dr SWMBO put a little sunflower seed in it, rather than the pure safflower that normally is fed from this feeder. The squirrel's don't prefer safflower, but love sunflower seeds. It's empty, so when I refill tomorrow, it will be back to pure safflower.

Of course, the hogletts are now interested in the petunias. Sheesh!

David Klink
07-01-2004, 2:37 AM
So much for the "design" of this feeder! 'Keeps the bigger birds out, but...

What goes around comes around.:)

http://home.comcast.net/~dklink913/Thief.jpg

Christopher Pine
07-01-2004, 7:35 AM
I am angry with a local squirrell :) He chewed a hole in my trashcan lid to get to the contents...
chris pine

Jack Wood
07-01-2004, 8:01 AM
Well your either one way or the other, you love them or you hate them! I myself love them and like to watch what they will do to get a treat. BUT when my granfather was alive they were considered "vermin" as they ate his Pecans and they nearly burned his house down after one chewed through the sofit and got into the atic where it bit through an electric wire and fried it's self:eek:! The PBS show on them is really good as to what they can do, Chinese acrobats have nothing on them!Nice Photo!

Earl Reid
07-01-2004, 11:06 AM
nice picture, We had good luck keepping them out for 3 years using slinkkies on the posts. However this year the have climbed through the slinkies a few times. I like to watch them but the do damage the feeders.
Earl

Bill Grumbine
07-01-2004, 11:10 AM
Well your either one way or the other, you love them or you hate them!

Personally, I love them! Cooked down into squirrel stew and served over biscuits, they are a real treat! ;)

Bill

Jim Becker
07-01-2004, 11:14 AM
Personally, I love them! Cooked down into squirrel stew and served over biscuits, they are a real treat!
It's probably been since the early 1970s since I had squirrel in a culinary way...

Dennis Peacock
07-01-2004, 12:10 PM
Personally, I love them! Cooked down into squirrel stew and served over biscuits, they are a real treat! ;)

Bill

Hush now....you're making me hungry.!! Been a while, but both rabbit and squirrel make good stews. ;)

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
07-01-2004, 9:52 PM
Mount the feeder on 1 1/2" pvc pipe and grease the pipe with vasoline. They jump up and then slide down like firemen on a brass pole.

Jim Becker
07-01-2004, 9:57 PM
Don, this feeder's a hanger (and on the house), not a post mount, but your idea is intreguing if only for the entertainment factor! They are no longer interested in this one, anyway, since it only has safflower in it now. We don't have problems with the other half-dozen feeders for a variety of reasons...other than birds that think they are pigs!

Dennis Peacock
07-02-2004, 12:03 AM
Mount the feeder on 1 1/2" pvc pipe and grease the pipe with vasoline. They jump up and then slide down like firemen on a brass pole.

That should be FUN there Don.!! :D

BTW, Welcome Back to SMC.!!!! Missed ya being around for a bit. ;)