PDA

View Full Version : Garage laser parking system

Bob Rufener
01-29-2009, 8:04 PM
I am interested in installing two laser lights that would attach to the ceiling of our garage. They would be alligned so that the light would show up on the dash of our vehicles to indicate we are at a preferred spot to park in the garage. I have done a bit of research and there are numerous kinds with power ranging from double a batteries to 9 volt batteries to plug in to 110. Activation is by the light turning on from your opener or motion sensor. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with these units and could give me some pros and cons of different devices or any recommendations. Any input is appreciated. Thanks

JohnT Fitzgerald
01-29-2009, 8:10 PM
Or connect a tennis ball to a string and set it up so when you drive into it and it touches your windshield (or side mirror or whatever), you're "in".

Jim O'Dell
01-29-2009, 8:15 PM
John, we always used a paddle ball for Grandma. Now I need it.:p Jim.

Bob Rufener
01-29-2009, 8:15 PM
Thought of that but don't want a pair of balls hanging in my garage. I just think they would be in the way.

JohnT Fitzgerald
01-29-2009, 8:37 PM
>> in the way

very true! great idea, but I've no experience with anything like that.

Ed Hazel
01-29-2009, 10:05 PM
I got these for my daughter http://www.improvementscatalog.com/home/improvements/792927874-garage-parking-stops-set-of-2.html
No batteries just pick up to sweep, also helped with lateral parking.

Ben Franz
01-29-2009, 11:12 PM
Shop Notes had an article about these gizmos in the recent past - reviewed 4 or 5 commercially available products. Don't have the mag in front of me now but if you can't locate it, send me a PM and I'll dig it out.

Robert Parrish
01-30-2009, 7:25 AM
Bob, I installed one of these in a 3 car garage but I don't use it anymore. It was hard to get the spot adjusted and stay in one place. You never park your car in the exactly same spot each time, at least my wife didn't. I just put down a 2x4 with double face tape and it has worked well.

Peter Stahl
01-30-2009, 9:25 AM
I use my cord caddy and have the cord end hanging so when my wife pulls in she just touched it on the windsheild. My side I center myself with the window to the left of my truck. If I hadn't had the cord caddy I would have went the cord and tennis ball route.

Art Mulder
01-30-2009, 9:30 AM
Or connect a tennis ball to a string and set it up so when you drive into it and it touches your windshield (or side mirror or whatever), you're "in".

This.

Thought of that but don't want a pair of balls hanging in my garage. I just think they would be in the way.

First, you don't need a pair, you only need one.

I've had a rubber toy ball on a string in my garage for at least 9 years now. It's cheap (free), it's easy to setup, and it works great.

I don't really find that it gets in the way. Of course, the car spot in our garage is strictly used for the car. When the car is in, the ball isn't in the way, since it's just sitting on the windshield. When the car is out, it just hangs there. Occasionally I might work on a bike in there or sweep, but then it is a simple matter to grab the ball and lift it up and hang it on a hook.

I think that a board bolted to the floor would be far far more of a hazard. (tripping, kids hit it with a bike, etc)

...art

Frank Townend
01-30-2009, 9:32 AM
I use this system (http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=534539&cm_ven=Froogle&cm_cat=NA&cm_pla=NA&cm_ite=14179) and it is the greatest!

My wife drives in front first, and I back in. I trained (park each car where you want it and simply adjust each lamp) each light to hit the center of each instrument cowl and we always park 'spot on'. I plugged the AC 'brick' into the unused outlet from the garage door opener and have great service from it. Highly recommended!

http://content.onestepahead.com/assets/images/product/detail/14179.jpg

Dick Adair
01-30-2009, 1:28 PM
Frank, thanks for the info. That is exactly what I was looking for. I just ordered one.

Frank Townend
01-30-2009, 3:49 PM
My pleasure Dick. I've had mine for a couple of years now and day in, day out it does exactly what I want it to do.

Also when we trade the two Bentleys in for two Rolls Royces all I have to do is re-aim. :p

I have them aimed so well we each park 1" to 2" from the garage door. Makes it very easy to get to the trash can and recycle bins, etc.

Watch yourself on that ladder in your garage and don't let anyone open the garage door with you up a ladder.

Darren Salyer
01-30-2009, 8:11 PM
Anybody ever thought of hanging an eye bolt from the ceiling, threading the string for the tennis ball through it and then wrapping the other end around the torsion bar that runs above the door at the header? Close the door, ball goes up, open the door, line unwraps on the bar and drops to windshield level......

Frank Townend
01-30-2009, 9:36 PM
I did at one time think about going the tennis ball route Darren, but...
If you get a new/different car, you have to move all the components to new locations. I just have to re-aim the laser.
I agree with your plan but always felt that ball would spook me if I ran it to it. The ball at the ceiling works if the door is closed, but some of doing stuff in the garage leave the door open.

Paul Brinkmeyer
01-31-2009, 10:57 AM
twist on the ball trick.

One day, in ND when it was like something below zero, my wife got in the car, which was in the garage. When she heard the garage door stop opening she backed out and took out the garage door. For some unknown reason it had stopped before it was all the way open.

I had the ball hanging trick, but now I wanted a way to know if the door was all the way open without having to turn around. I got a couple of pulleys, and some string. I wound the string around the shaft for the garage door and thru the pulleys and to the ball so the ball was in the right spot when the door was all the way open. As the door closed it pulled the ball up out of the way.

Now, if the ball does not come down and hit the spot, we knew not to back out. And wouldn't you know it, the door never stopped llike that again. But my buddies and me did have a few beers over this so it was worth it.

Art Mulder
01-31-2009, 10:40 PM
I did at one time think about going the tennis ball route Darren, but...
If you get a new/different car, you have to move all the components to new locations. I just have to re-aim the laser.

Sorry, Frank, but I find this funny.

It's too much work to get the ladder, climb the ladder, and move the screw/eyebolt/whatever that holds up the ball.
So instead you get the ladder, climb the ladder, and fiddle around moving the laser pointer.
Did I get that right?

:confused::D:confused::D

Bill Keehn
01-31-2009, 10:52 PM
You really might want to rethink this. If you can park in your garage you clearly don't have enough tools.

Mark Rios
02-01-2009, 12:39 PM

It's too much work to get the ladder, climb the ladder, and move the screw/eyebolt/whatever that holds up the ball.
So instead you get the ladder, climb the ladder, and fiddle around moving the laser pointer.
Did I get that right?

I really have to agree. Plus, with a ball, you don't ALSO have to get the ladder, climb the ladder and change the batteries every so often.

I really like gadgets and technology but this seems really kind of froofie to me. :D

Frank Townend
02-01-2009, 1:18 PM

Did I get that right?

In all fairness you did get that right Art, but sparing the work wasn't an issue. While a hanging tennis ball is 100% effective, the point in space where you want it to be can be a little tricky. Sure hang it from a mini eye bolt, shorten or lengthen the string for the new position and you are done. I don't have a heck of a lot less work, but aiming the laser beam really is a very simple matter. I also get to aim the laser beam from the side of the car, you have to be over the car to get the tennis ball right in one shot.

You really might want to rethink this. If you can park in your garage you clearly don't have enough tools.

Bill, your comment is the only one in this thread that is totally correct. Good point!

I really have to agree. Plus, with a ball, you don't ALSO have to get the ladder, climb the ladder and change the batteries every so often.

I really like gadgets and technology but this seems really kind of foolish to me. :D

But, I a geek Mark. The garage parking laser system plugs into the spare outlet for the garage door opener and has battery backup. (Not that the battery backup does any good without the electricity to close the door). I also have sensors on the doors that transmit to my closet that show me if the doors are open or closed (http://www.smarthomeusa.com/ShopByManufacturer/skylink/Item/GM-318/), to solidify my geek status.

My original response to Bob's question wasn't about the merits of one system over any other, just about a response to his specific questions about experience with Garage laser parking systems.