PDA

View Full Version : Got my video and vari-grind

Dustin Cranford
01-29-2009, 7:46 PM
Received both today by Fedex after 7 days. For some reason it sat in OH for 4 days at the Fedex site. Anyways I am going to watch the video tonight after the kids and wife go to bed. Need something to keep me awake since I go back on nights tomorrow.

So is there anything I should really pay attention to? Look for? I won't try and sharpen my gouge till I watch it and see what Bill does.

Scott Conners
01-29-2009, 8:06 PM
Once you watch it you'll realize that there is far more in it than you'll be able to process at once. Watch it through, and then you'll find yourself going back to specific segments as you encounter the problems and situations addressed. It's a truly great video, and one of the best learning aids I've found.

Dewey Torres
01-29-2009, 8:41 PM
Dustin,
I just got mine last week. The most important thing is when he talks about how the wheel tends to take more off of the middle of the blade than on the sides and how to watch for how your sharpening is developing the shape you want.

Bernie Weishapl
01-29-2009, 11:00 PM
Congrats on your video and sharpening jig. You are going to laugh when you hear Bill say, "would you like the see that cut again, well that's what the rewind button is for." I think when I first got Bill's DVD I watched it at least four times and still go back to watch certain things. Enjoy.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-29-2009, 11:06 PM
Bill's video is great. Like Bernie, I revisit on occasion.

Steve Schlumpf
01-29-2009, 11:47 PM
Great video - just watched mine again last week! Lots of information in the DVD and you will have to watch it multiple times but that is OK as Bill is extremely entertaining!

Mike Rathe
02-01-2009, 5:28 PM
I am planning on getting the Wolverine jig, and would like to know what video you guys are talking about?
Thanks

Dewey Torres
02-01-2009, 5:29 PM
I am planning on getting the Wolverine jig, and would like to know what video you guys are talking about?
Thanks

It comes with the jig in the box with the Wolverine.

Scott Conners
02-01-2009, 5:58 PM
Thanks

We're referring to Bill Grumbine's "Turned Bowls Made Easy," available directly from him at http://www.wonderfulwood.com/video.html

This is in my opinion the best bowl turning DVD available right now, and worth watching even if you don't plan on turning many bowls. The techniques and tips it contains are presented incredibly clearly and concisely, and Bill does a really great job presenting more than one way to do every task, and the reasoning behind each technique. It covers everything from chainsaw technique and safety to drying and finishing, and was one of the best learning tools I've used.

The Vari-grind does come with an instructional dvd for sharpening as well.

Dewey Torres
02-01-2009, 6:01 PM
Shoot, this whole time I thought you guy were talking about the Oneway video...thanks for the save Scott:o

Burt Alcantara
02-02-2009, 10:33 AM
Don't overgrind. The amount of pressure to use it just the weight of the tool. Keep both hands on the tool and jig. Don't hold the handle. Once the tool is shaped you only need to dress the bevel. One pass on each wing and a couple on the tip to blend the surfaces.

The best description of sharpening a bowl gouge that I've seen to date it on David Ellsworth Signature Gouge DVD. I've found it to be the best DVD for using any gouge bar none. Very detailed and easy to understand.

Cured all of my sharpening booboos.

Burt