PDA

View Full Version : Why the Creek totally doesn't suck

Denise Ohio
01-29-2009, 6:26 PM
So I have these 100-year-old doors and windows we've installed in our new house. I've been slowly and carefully removing the grime and paint (I use SoyGel and wet sand to keep the dust down, dispose of everything properly, and wear respirator and paper suit), but I was having a heckuva time removing the window putty.

It wasn't acting properly. What I mean is that I had assume that the window putty was a lime and linseed oil mix, and expected it to yield to the SoyGel or some other solvent with little need for my friend, Mr. Scraper. Instead, the putty would reluctantly chip and dust off.

The pieces looked just like opaque shellac. Then I read on here somewhere someone mentioning that windows were often glazed with a shellac-based putty. So yesterday, I set up a little experiment using alcohol (the kind that comes in a can, not the kind that comes in a bottle---I use that for cleaning the insides of martini glasses, ha ha), some paper towels, and a garbage bag. I soaked the towels in the alcohol, lined them along the window putty and covered the whole thing with the plastic bag, and left it overnight.

This morning, I was able to peel off the window putty easily. It was like magic. That should tell you how boring my life is as this was a very exciting result and I actually did a little hop while standing at the work bench.

So, yet again, Creekers have made life---not exactly easier, because easier would just be me buying plastic stuff ---more interesting in a good way. We can continue carefully salvaging and using materials that are not only quite serviceable, but beautiful. So thanks again, you all, for the wit and wisdom and urging us unsuspecting folk into little adventures like this.

Oh, and is Hope's tung oil (the label says it's pure tung oil and nothing else) any good? Our local Coast to Coast has pint bottles on sale.

Judy Kingery
01-29-2009, 6:31 PM
Denise,

Yep it's a wonderful thing to have this avenue to swap tips, suggestions, support (and a few laughs along the way!). While I've not refinished any antique doors, I did re-do a clock one time. 1880 mantle clock that someone had slopped about 5 coats of paint on. Oh I have it for sentimental reasons, not value and the Clock Doc said nope, with paint on it, not worth anything. I'd asked him before I took the paint off somewhat gently using something he recommended, that doesn't help you, but it didn't strip the wood, just got the paint off it.

What may be helpful to you is I did the pure tung oil finish on it and couldn't get it to cure correctly, stayed slightly tacky. A friend told me, add a tiny bit of mineral spirits to catylize the tung oil. So I did that and man, set up a beautiful finish in about 24 hours, buffed it and beautiful clock. So that's my only tip on the tung oil that may be beneficial to you.

Best to you,

Jude

Denise Ohio
01-30-2009, 12:18 AM
Denise,

What may be helpful to you is I did the pure tung oil finish on it and couldn't get it to cure correctly, stayed slightly tacky. A friend told me, add a tiny bit of mineral spirits to catylize the tung oil. So I did that and man, set up a beautiful finish in about 24 hours, buffed it and beautiful clock. So that's my only tip on the tung oil that may be beneficial to you.

I'm definitely going to try that---I got a thing from the real milk paint company about using Citrus Solvent (I think that's the product) or mineral spirits to do what you're saying. I have a lot of woodwork going into the new house so I'm open to simple, useful ideas to show off the wood.

Did you buff with a wax or just buff the last coat of tung oil? We have beeswax---used to keep bees, so we have about 10-15# in the cabinet and another super full I need to clean out and render. I have to add other waxes as beeswax is HARD, but man, does it smell good.

Charles Robertson
01-30-2009, 7:34 AM
A quick note and probably not needed. Be careful with the application and wiping rags. I put mine in a covered bucket outside my shop when finished with them. Linseed and tung oil products are known for spontaneous combustion. Many years ago a friend lost his shop due to rags with t-oil on them tossed in a trash barrel. People are better informed now but it only took (in my case, with 2 finger typing) about an hour to send along this reminder. Good luck on your restore, Al