PDA

View Full Version : Steve Goes Shopping......Again

Steve Clarkson
01-29-2009, 5:42 PM
I figure these threads will turn into something like the old Bing Crosby "Road" movies........

So I went to the mall today (you must think I go EVERYDAY).....and I noticed one or two things......

First, I stopped into Things Remembered and saw that they are now selling (GASP!)....engraved dog tags! For only $20......and yes, that's BEFORE the cost of engraving. Admittedly, they are a little nicer than the Anodized Aluminum Chewbarka tags......but $25-$30 per tag?

Then I walked by a jewelry store and they had something interesting on display.....it was a glass square....maybe 4"x4"x1" and it was engraved on the back.....but what was interesting was that it was color filled with a substance almost like a gel. It looked really nice. So I guess my question is......has anyone ever color-filled their glass or acrylic with anything other than paint? If so, what?

So, then I stopped by a Wiccan store to see the local resident witch and I saw something interesting......they had a typical acrylic box.....maybe 6"x4"x3".......but what was interesting about it was the hinge. They didn't use a typical brass hinge, rather it appeared that they used caulk.....a flexible gel type. They simply ran a bead of gel under one side of the lid where it meets the back panel....all along the back. When the caulk dries, it binds the lid to the back panel so that when you open the lid it "feels" almost like you're stretching a rubber band to open the box. And it's self closing too! Simply let go and the "rubber band" snaps back. I have some caulk lying around.....I'll have to give it a shot.

And that concludes my trip to the mall.

James Stokes
01-29-2009, 6:00 PM
Well it sounds like you had an interesting day, You have to remember Things Rememberd has an extremely high over head from being in the mall, Therefore their prices are nuch higher than normal. The kind of people they get are differant and they can get higher prices than normal. People that buy there generally do not know about other engraving shops and they are more impulse driven.
But the acrylic box sound interesting.

Mike Christen
01-29-2009, 8:49 PM
Hi Steve

Hinge sounds interesting; I may have to give that a try too. I would think it may be clear silicone, tough and durable. Not sure i would try using the water based products. Let us know how it works out.

Mike