PDA

View Full Version : Casters - The garage workshops best compliment.

Jose Kilpatrick
01-29-2009, 5:29 PM
I found a set of locking swivel casters at a japanese-import-dollarstore kinda place SWMBO dragged me into one day. I couldn't pass them up since they were about 80% less than what the BORG sells them for. After they sat in a bin for a few months, I installed them on my RAS one idle weekend. I thought it would be a good move for when I needed to work with boards longer than 12 ft since I could move it around.

After I got these things bolted on, I cannot describe the joy of being able to slide this monstrosity off the back wall of my garage. And it literally took up most of my space.

I had to do a lot of cross cutting one day and it was a beautiful evening, so I rolled the thing into the drive way and did my cutting under natural lighting. What a joy.

I felt so good about this easy cheap mod to my RAS, I went and bought some casters for my table saw. (these were better quality) and now my table saw can join in on the dance of shop reconfiguration.

The first thing I did was clear a corner out of my shop to stow my assembley table, RAS and TS. I even adjusted the height of my RAS to a level where my TS could slide right up under the edge of the tabletop of the ras to gain a few extra feet of clear shop space.

After I had my two work horses in parade rest in the corner of my garage, I had to reconfigure everything to make use of the space. For less than $60, I've got a new outlook and gained space in my garage.

Tony Cox
02-04-2009, 4:27 PM
Ahh Yes, casters are a beautiful thing. ;)

Especially if your space has to double or triple as something else. This is the case with my garage (shop). So much goes on in there that I have to have the ability to move equipment out of my way.

Be Safe,
Tony