PDA

View Full Version : Couple of segmented bowls

Jim Swift
01-29-2009, 4:48 PM
Pictures are a couple of bowls I have recently completed.
First pic (beginner bowl-Thanks Dennis Daudlin? for the inspiration) was one I did around Thanksgiving. 2" high 7 1/2" wide made of maple & padauk. I had intended to give it to my daughter that was home for the holiday. I applied Minwax wipe on poly to it and it would not dry. Posted problem here and was told to not use old poly. Well after about 3 or 4 weeks it finally dried, lightly sanded and recoated poly with wax only buff.

Second pic is a hollowform designed on segmented project planner with the help of items in gallery. It is made from maple & walnut and is 7" high 9 3/4" wide. One coat Minwax wipeon poly with wax only buff. I am reasonably happy with the way it turned out except as explained below. I have yet to finish the bottom. (Going to make a donut chuck). I had a significant problem with the glueup on this one. As I was glueing it up between centers on the lathe and had it centered properly on either side(0 degrees & 180 degrees) once turned the glue lines on 90degrees & 270 degrees were off kilter. It didn't appear to be that way before turning. Anyone know what went wrong?

As always, comments and critiques welcome.

Jim Swift

Dewey Torres
01-29-2009, 5:20 PM
The beginner one looks great too! I like them both.

Steve Schlumpf
01-29-2009, 5:46 PM
Both of them look pretty good Jim! Really like the hollow form!

Richard Madison
01-29-2009, 9:57 PM
Both look good from here Jim. I do not see an "off kilter" place?

Paul Douglass
01-29-2009, 10:06 PM
'm doing some studying and plan on attempting some segmenting in the future. I will be happy is my first attempts turn out half that nice.

Bernie Weishapl
01-29-2009, 10:44 PM
Jim those are beauties. I really like the HF a lot.

Jim Kountz
01-30-2009, 12:34 AM
I think they are both excellent and the form on the HF is really nice, fantastic job!!

ROY DICK
01-30-2009, 10:02 AM
Jim,
Very nice indeed.

Roy

Jim Swift
01-30-2009, 11:12 PM
Thanks Guys...Appreciate comments:):)