PDA

View Full Version : 1" Belt Sanders???

Jim Eller
01-29-2009, 4:40 PM
Has anyone used one of these, http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=2485, the Delta or similar version? Recommendations?

Also, what do you use it for?

Thanks,
Jim

Jose Kilpatrick
01-29-2009, 4:47 PM
My dad is a knife maker. He uses one to shape contours onto knife handles. His lasted for about 3 years with heavy use until the motor gave out. He used it to sand everything from stag horn to burled walnut.

Brent Leonard
01-29-2009, 5:17 PM
Some people sharpen various tools with them also.

Ryan Baker
01-29-2009, 6:57 PM
I have the Delta. It's a pretty good little tool. Quiet. I use it for sanding small parts (like wooden gear teeth) where getting access on something bigger is a problem. The belt is not the most precise thing in the world, but it gets the job done if you are paying attention. The Delta has a disc as well which works even better, though it is small. I would not get one of these in place of a lerger unit for general work, but if you are looking for something for small, special jobs, it can come in handy.

Mike Langford
01-29-2009, 7:12 PM
I've had mine since '92 and it's still going strong......I use it for everything from shaping things, knife sharpening, to put a quick sharp edge on a putty knife, etc and I even sand/shape wood with it too! ;)

Larry Edgerton
01-29-2009, 7:16 PM
I've had mine since '92 and it's still going strong......I use it for everything from shaping things, knife sharpening, to put a quick sharp edge on a putty knife, etc and I even sand/shape wood with it too! ;)

I have one of those! Best $79 dollars I have spent......

Mike Langford
01-29-2009, 7:22 PM
I have one of those! Best $79 dollars I have spent......

Yep! I paid alittle less for mine (employee discount from where I worked at the time! :p) but it's one of those tools that you don't think you use it so much but you'd shore miss it if you didn't have it!.....

.....It even has a place on the side cover to use your shop-vac for dust control....but I never bother with hooking it up, faster to just turn it on, do what you have to do quickly, then shut it off......

Loren Blount
01-29-2009, 8:08 PM
I have the HF version. It works great for sharpening kitchen knives & pocket knives. I have a leather belt I use on mine as well as some 600 & 800 grit belts

Loren

Rick Potter
01-30-2009, 2:56 AM
Another one to consider (if they still make it) is the Sears unit with the TWO inch belt. Still small enough for easy use, but large enough to use for a lot of WW jobs. It also has a much bigger motor. Mine is about six years old, and sits right next to my 6 X 48 belt sander, which I don't use as often. Has a disc sander also.

Rick Potter

Larry Edgerton
01-30-2009, 6:38 AM
.....It even has a place on the side cover to use your shop-vac for dust control....but I never bother with hooking it up, faster to just turn it on, do what you have to do quickly, then shut it off......

You do have to empty out the wood dust in the case before you grind steel. I started mine on fire a couple of times before I figured that out.......

Rich Engelhardt
01-30-2009, 7:13 AM
Hello,

Also, what do you use it for?
In HS shop class in 1966, the sander/grinder (which is what we called it) was the single most used tool in the shop.
We used it for anything that needed a lot of stock in a small area removed in a hurry & with a fair amount of precision.

Terry H, also used it one day to remove a good portion of his thumb.:eek:
He ground off about a half inch and didn't even know it.

George Sanders
01-30-2009, 8:24 AM
I bought a used Sears unit for fifteen bucks at an auction. It works surprisingly well for a variety of tasks. I don't grind steel with it though.

Greg Narozniak
01-30-2009, 8:43 AM
I used to use a 1 x 42" model when I was assembling Golf clubs. I think my brother has it now but it was a very handy tool.

Mark Patoka
01-30-2009, 11:08 AM
Scott Phillips used one on an old episode of American Woodshop to sharpen all his lathe tools. I've got one also and it works well for sanding small pieces. Easy to put out of the way when not needed.

Gary Click
01-30-2009, 6:39 PM
I have the Delta. It's a pretty good little tool. Quiet. I use it for sanding small parts (like wooden gear teeth) where getting access on something bigger is a problem. The belt is not the most precise thing in the world, but it gets the job done if you are paying attention. The Delta has a disc as well which works even better, though it is small. I would not get one of these in place of a lerger unit for general work, but if you are looking for something for small, special jobs, it can come in handy.

I also have the Delta SA180 and I also use it for sanding wooden gear teeth for clocks. The Delta has an Induction Motor and is belt driven making it very plesant to use.

I fine it very quiet and easy to work with. I also have a Rikon 6X48 and the Delta does things that I wouldn't even consider with the Rikon.

Howard Miller
01-30-2009, 8:24 PM
The HF is the same as the Grizzle, http://www.grizzly.com/products/Belt-Sander-1-x-30-/H3140 , for less money.