PDA

View Full Version : Wood Combos for the Striped Cutting Board?

Russ Filtz
06-30-2004, 4:34 PM
Just wondered if anyone had any other nice looking wood combinations for the "striped" cutting board featured here. Something interesting and non-toxic! Was looking at some of the imported woods, but don't know if anything is a no-no for food contact and whether it's tough enough. Any lists out there for toxicity?

Terry Quiram
06-30-2004, 7:40 PM
Russ

You can't go wrong with Maple and Cherry or Maple and Walnut. Walnut as long as you are not alergic to nuts. Ash or Oak will also work for the light wood. I have even used Pear and Cherry.

Use Titebond 2 or 3 or Gorilla glue. Gorilla cleans off easier but wear gloves because it stains. For a finish I use mineral oil. Reapply as needed.

Terry

Kent Cori
07-01-2004, 10:13 AM
Russ,

I routinely use walnut, maple and bloodwood for both cutting boards and turned rolling pins. The red toned bloodwood really looks good with the other two. I use walnut oil to coat all of them although mineral oil works well too. There is a potential concern that someone with a nut alergy might react to the walnut oil but I know of no real evidence to support this comment.

I have used the Titebond II Extend glue in the past with excellent results. I will switch to Titebond III now that it is available. According to the manufacturer, it has the same working time as the II extend glue and is also waterproof instead of just weatherproof. The only disadvantages are that it has a one year shelf life versus two for the Titebond II extend and it costs a few pennies more.

Chris Padilla
07-01-2004, 10:43 AM
I have plans to try some maple and mesquite. Both are good dense woods and I think they will look fantastic together.