PDA

View Full Version : Box Joints on Pre-finished Plywood

Carl Schellenberg
01-29-2009, 4:38 PM
I am trying to make interior cabinet drawers out of 1/2 inch pre-finished maple plywood. I am using a box joint jig which works on either a table saw or a router table. The setup is fine but I get tear out and chipping on the back side of the piece when I use the table saw with the Freud Box joint blades. I get tear out and chipping on the front side when I use the router with a spiral up-cut bit. I have tried putting masking tape on the vulnerable side for both operations.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I have a workshop full of the plywood just waiting to be magically turned into drawers.

Thanks

Carl

Jose Kilpatrick
01-29-2009, 4:51 PM
My only reccomendations would be to

Check the speed of your router.
Use a backer board.
Score a line along the cut with a straight edge.

Carl Schellenberg
01-29-2009, 4:59 PM
Thanks Jose

Have tried using a backer and varying the speed of the router. As far as scoring is concerned, it is hard to do with a box joint.

Thanks anyway

Carl

Chris Padilla
01-29-2009, 5:00 PM
Use sacrificial boards (MDF is good...cheap plywood is good...scrap is good) on the front and back of the board(s) you are cutting.

You may wish to hog out a box joint SMALLER than what you want in the end and then go back and cut the larger size but honestly, I think the sacrificial boards will solve your tear out issues.

Brent Leonard
01-29-2009, 5:03 PM
My only reccomendations would be to

Check the speed of your router.
Use a backer board.
Score a line along the cut with a straight edge.

X2

Try sandwiching the plywood between other stock material when you cut your joints. Keep the pieces tightly together with 2" wide painters/masking tape.

Phil Thien
01-29-2009, 8:17 PM
Any chance your spiral bit is dull? I recently was making box joints on 1/4" thick fir and was getting all sorts of chipout on the front of the boards. I was using a backer board and even getting a little on back.

New Whiteside upcut spiral bit did the trick. My old bit had really been around the block.

Jamie Buxton
01-29-2009, 10:05 PM
Suggestion: give up on finger joints or dovetail joints in plywood. You'll never really cure the chip-out. Futhermore, doing joints like that in prefinished means that you can't sand down the tips of the fingers if they're a little proud. And on top of that, you still have to finish the tips of the fingers somehow.

A better approach in plywood, and particularly prefinished plywood, is the lock rabbet joint. You can make it all on a table saw, so it is faster than finger-type joints. It doesn't penetrate the outside of the drawer, so there's no chip-out. There's also no need to add finish to the drawer. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=129487&postcount=8

Rick Fisher
01-30-2009, 6:20 AM
I have had the exact problem described and found that a sacrificial board makes all the difference.

Charles McCracken
01-30-2009, 8:08 AM
Carl,

For the SBOX8 I recommend that you use a backer board that provides zero clearance and clamp the material to the jig so it is more stable and so the fibers are held tightly to the backer board.

Thomas Knapp
01-30-2009, 8:29 AM
Suggestion: give up on finger joints or dovetail joints in plywood. You'll never really cure the chip-out. Futhermore, doing joints like that in prefinished means that you can't sand down the tips of the fingers if they're a little proud. And on top of that, you still have to finish the tips of the fingers somehow.

A better approach in plywood, and particularly prefinished plywood, is the lock rabbet joint. You can make it all on a table saw, so it is faster than finger-type joints. It doesn't penetrate the outside of the drawer, so there's no chip-out. There's also no need to add finish to the drawer. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=129487&postcount=8

I second that opinion! I have Baltic Birch plywood drawers that I made over 25 years ago with those joints and they haven't failed yet.