PDA

View Full Version : Latest Project - Entertainment Center

Gene E Miller
01-29-2009, 4:22 PM
Greetings & Salutations,

Been working on this for a few days now and thought I would post a couple of pics. Going to start finishing this week end.

This is an entertainment center I am building for a long time family friend. He is 84 yrs old and wanted something to put his TV, VCR and new Digital Converter Box in along with some pictures. He didn't want the expense of solid but wanted something that was fairly nice. So we came up with this.

The case is made out of 3/4 MDF. The edging and molding is White Oak and I had a piece of wood veneer covered 3/4 MDF that I made the shelves on the right out of and then edged the front with Oak.

The back of the tall shelf area is set in so that the electric cords and cables will not be seen in the shelf area and there is a hole that the cables can pass thru to the TV.

108474 108475

I am going to put a natural finish on all the wood areas and we are going to try a faux type paint finish on the MDF. We put down a base coat and let it dry then put on a glaze and using a streaking bush can put in a simulated grain pattern that on a test piece looked pretty good next to the oak finished.

I will take some pics after the finish is on and post again.

Originally talked about making this out of white oak plywood but taking into account his age and that he lives alone really couldn't justify charging him that much to use those materials. All in all this turned out better than I really expected and one thing for sure it is heavy as heck and really solid.

Gene

Jason Tuinstra
01-29-2009, 6:56 PM
Cool. Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out.

Gene E Miller
02-08-2009, 12:16 PM
Greetings & Salutations,

Well I said when I got this project with a finish on it I would post a few more pics.

I got it completed this morning by putting on the trim moldings and getting the final holes cut in the back for various accessories.

As I said before the main box is made of MDF and we wanted some type of finish that would hide the plain MDF look and found a faux type paint that I think turned out pretty well. The removable shelves on the right were some birch veneer covered MDF that I had from another project that I put oak edging on the front edge and all of the trim and edging is oak also.

The only problem I had and was not really satisfied with was the way the glaze applied in the corners. I just could not get it to not be a little darker no matter what I used. It is not my best work and I am a disappointed with that aspect of the finish but I must admit that it does look better than just a plain paint finish and with the wood trim will pass but just barely. :(

I had really wanted to make it out of all oak and oak plywood but since the customer is 84 yrs old he just didn't think that that expense was something he wanted to go into.

He is happy so I am happy. ;);)

Gene