PDA

View Full Version : JessEm Master Slide

Chris Konikowski
01-29-2009, 3:37 PM
Well, I just got back from Rockler and they had one of these set up and it looked pretty darn cool! What a great way to break down 4x8 sheet goods!!!....except it is too small to break down sheet goods....:confused::confused:

Man, how cool would something like this be if they made it just a little bigger so it would accept sheet goods! Doesn't seem like it would be a challenge to make something pretty much like that but just a little bigger...

Anyone know of something like this that can accept full sheets?

Dick Sylvan
01-29-2009, 3:52 PM
Yes, a real sliding tablesaw.

frank shic
01-29-2009, 3:57 PM
chris, google craigslist for "altendorf" - that's what they're designed for!

Chris Konikowski
01-29-2009, 4:49 PM
Wow, so there is the $25,000 option or NOTHING?:confused:

Seems like something like this could be made a little larger for about the same money.You would need a little longer track. The bearings and everything else would be the same, just extend the track...

Gary Herrmann
01-29-2009, 5:42 PM
Guided circular saw systems work well for breaking down sheet goods.

frank shic
01-29-2009, 5:46 PM
chris, if jessem would make a larger version that slides just as easily, i would sell my exaktor in a heartbeat lol.

Chris Konikowski
01-29-2009, 6:29 PM
chris, if jessem would make a larger version that slides just as easily, i would sell my exaktor in a heartbeat lol.

LOL! This is the kind of thing that I wanted to know about! :D

Never seen one of those before. Now all I need is for those to go on sale!

Jason Beam
01-29-2009, 6:37 PM
Exactor (which used to be excalibur? or no? maybe not?)

Delta makes one.
Jet makes one.
Jessem
Dewalt saws have one as an option.

Not all of those can handle a full sheet of ply, tho.

Mike Heidrick
01-29-2009, 9:41 PM
Have you seen the add on professional sliding table from Laguna for only $2K!

http://www.lagunatools.com/professionalslidingtable.aspx

http://www.lagunatools.com/Images/slidingtable.jpg

Comes complete with cut off fence, hold down clamp, support legs and mounting hardware. Fits most cabinet saws including Powermatic 66 and Delta Unisaw.

Maximum stroke: 50”
Length of cut off fence: 48”
Length of rail system: 50”
Weight of sliding table: 275 lbs
Dimension of table: 14” x 50”

Jonathan Spool
01-30-2009, 2:22 AM
I use a panel saw to break down sheets. Good enough acuracy for cabinet boxes. Eay on the back! I use the tablesaw for anything that requires precision.

Vic Damone
01-30-2009, 8:05 AM
It doesn't turn your saw into a true slider because of all the table to the left of the blade. Even so, I like mine a lot. Unlike the Laguna above the JessEm doesn't come with any clamping. Adjustability can be very detailed but it's worth the effort. If they made a longer version I'd trade up.

Dick Sylvan
01-30-2009, 12:17 PM
Wow, so there is the $25,000 option or NOTHING?:confused:

Seems like something like this could be made a little larger for about the same money.You would need a little longer track. The bearings and everything else would be the same, just extend the track...

There are a number of real sliders available for lots less, though not cheap. The Altendorf is a Mercedes. Look at Hammer, Laguna, Mini-Max, or Rojek.

John Gornall
01-30-2009, 1:15 PM
The sheet goods are slid off my truck onto a few 2x4's on the carport floor. A couple of cuts with the skill saw and it's ready for the Jessem on my Unisaw. That's what a Jessem slider is for - not for full sheets. And for the rest of the project the Jessem is a real joy whether it's cutting a 12 x 12 piece of plywood and not worrying about kickback or trimming a 2 inch style to length and not worrying about miter guage movement. It makes woodworking more fun. I also have a couple of sleds which I use with the Jessem to control small pieces.

Lorne Steed
01-30-2009, 2:02 PM
Hi Chris: You may want to take a look at the Exactor line of sliding tables. They are more affordable and might be what you are looking for. I cannot,however,vouch for their worthiness as I do not own one or have seen one except in pictures on the net. Here is a link for you to look for yourself:

http://www.exaktortools.com/index2.htm

Lorne

frank shic
01-30-2009, 4:50 PM
chris, the exaktor and its clone the excalibur sliding tables show up on craigslist every so often once the homeowner either finishes their cabinet project or realizes that it takes up so much space in the garage!

Brian Ross
01-30-2009, 5:09 PM
Had an Exactor for about 10 years and it worked well. It was the mid sized one that would rip, I believe ,39 inches with the fence moved to the back. Great for cutting full sheets but not as accurate as the SCM 10 ft slider that I now have but I didn't I also didn't pay $11,000 for it either. The Exactor certainly served its purpose.

Brian

Casey Carr
01-30-2009, 7:00 PM
Actually, I think I just saw the Jessem mast-r-slide on sale in the Rockler flyer that I get. Think it said $200 off. Don't know if you're talking about this or the wishful thinking larger mast-r-slide. But yes, it's $399 online through Rockler. Got me curious so I checked.

Vince Shriver
01-30-2009, 7:30 PM
Actually, I think I just saw the Jessem mast-r-slide on sale in the Rockler flyer that I get. Think it said $200 off. Don't know if you're talking about this or the wishful thinking larger mast-r-slide. But yes, it's $399 online through Rockler. Got me curious so I checked.

There's more than one mast r slide?

Chris Konikowski
01-30-2009, 7:49 PM

That is what got me looking at it. At full price, it is out of the question. With $200 off it was just mostly out of the question... :D