PDA

View Full Version : US Jointer Manufacturers?

Danny Thompson
01-29-2009, 3:16 PM
Are there any remaining stateside manufacturers building a hobbyist-level jointer--e.g., comparable to a Grizzly G0586 8"-er?

Alex Shanku
01-29-2009, 3:27 PM
Could find an old delta/rockwell or powermatic 60, american, beaver, boice crane, poter made an 8" i think...crescent

Would have to hunt these down, but its a buyers market for old machinery right now.

General (canada) made/makes an 8" jointer, I think.

Cliff Rohrabacher
01-29-2009, 3:32 PM
Northfield

Rod Sheridan
01-29-2009, 3:38 PM
Could find an old delta/rockwell or powermatic 60, american, beaver, boice crane, poter made an 8" i think...crescent

Would have to hunt these down, but its a buyers market for old machinery right now.

General (canada) made/makes an 8" jointer, I think.

Yes General makes an 8" jointer in Canada, it's about $3,500. ( I sold mine about 8 months ago for 1/2 the price of new, after using it for 18 years).

They're a fantastic piece of machinery, however I don't think that's what you're looking for.

If you want North American, you're going to have to purchase older Powermatic or Delta equipment as they haven't been made in America for awhile.

In case you're wondering why I sold my General jointer and planer, I purchased a Hammer A3-31 to replace them.

Regards, Rod.

John Hedges
01-29-2009, 3:48 PM
Are you talking about US companies that make jointers in oversea factories or US companies that make jointers here in the US. If your talking about jointers made in the US, I think Alex hit that, and you cant compare those to a value based product like a Grizzly 586

There are several US companies that do import jointers made overseas for them, such as Delta, PM, etc. While many of these may be aimed at the hobbiest, they are more expensive as they are not marketed or built as value lower cost products.

Danny Thompson
01-29-2009, 3:50 PM
Northfield

err, uhhh . . . :

3 HP direct motor drive, 3,600 RPM . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$ 10,870.00
5 HP direct motor drive, 3,600 RPM . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$ 10,960.00
3 HP “V” belt drive, 3,600 RPM . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$ 11,010.00
5 HP “V” belt drive, 3,600 RPM . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$ 11,140.00
3 HP single phase “V” belt drive, 3,600 RPM . . . . . . . . . . .$ 11,340.00
5 HP single phase, “V” belt drive, 3,600 RPM . . . . . . . . . .$ 11,530.00

That answers that question. Thanks.

Jason Beam
01-29-2009, 4:00 PM
Funny how the reality of it kicks in, huh?

Suddenly, china's tools ain't so bad, are they? :P

Alex Shanku
01-29-2009, 4:11 PM

I would look at it as more like seeing what old, american made iron, properly restored, is "worth" (or at least comparably, is "worth").

Dave Lehnert
01-29-2009, 4:19 PM
Know it's not what you were looking for but the Shopsmith 4" Jointer is Made in Dayton Ohio.
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/catalog/jointer.htm

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/catalog/images/Jointer.jpg

John Hedges
01-29-2009, 4:27 PM

If your comparing Grizzly to Northfield, your right, but thats pretty ridiculous. But when comparing Grizzly to General, PM etc, I think that now your in the ballpark

Jason Beam
01-29-2009, 4:49 PM
I wasn't comparing any specific machine - just commenting on how quickly the price becomes a factor - good or not, there IS a price ceiling for domestic tool manufacturers for hobbyists and I think Danny just found his :)

Gary Herrmann
01-29-2009, 5:44 PM
Another bump for Canadian General tools. I've got 3 (one is the 8" jointer) of them in my shop. High quality and very robust tools.

Bill White
01-29-2009, 6:14 PM
Know it's not what you were looking for but the Shopsmith 4" Jointer is Made in Dayton Ohio.
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/catalog/jointer.htm

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/catalog/images/Jointer.jpg

Wanna buy it?
Bill

Karl Brogger
01-29-2009, 8:06 PM
Did you look at the weight? 1150 #'s! That's where the money goes.

I was just at the Foundry a couple of days ago, been looking at getting a pop up saw.

Danny Thompson
01-29-2009, 11:23 PM
I was just wondering if it comes with either:

a: the delivery truck
or b: dancing girls

Interesting. I checked out the General site: of the 9 jointers listed, only 2 appear to be made in Canada, 1 of which happens to be an 8"-er. It's the $3500 one. I don't know where the $1600 version is made, but I know it doesn't have a maple leaf stamped on it.

cameron bailey
01-29-2009, 11:41 PM
oliver has a new 8" jointer that is all cast iron and I think it is made in the states. It is not as pricey as the powermatic that is now made over seas.
Look on ebay there are some there.

Dan Forman
01-30-2009, 5:00 AM
The new Oliver tools are not made in the US, not even the same company, they just bought the name. They do get good reviews none the less.

Dan

Rick Fisher
01-30-2009, 6:14 AM
The 8" Canadian made General Jointer is a very nice machine. They offer it with a helical head now as well.

One of the 12" are still made in Canada but priced the same as Northfield. About $14,000. Most are sold to Institutions like Universities or Govt. They are rare and 20 year old used ones fetch upwards of $8000.00

Only about 30-40 a year are made.

They are just too expensive. You can buy an Italian 12" jointer for under $10,000 new.

Rod Sheridan
01-30-2009, 9:12 AM
I was just wondering if it comes with either:

a: the delivery truck
or b: dancing girls

Interesting. I checked out the General site: of the 9 jointers listed, only 2 appear to be made in Canada, 1 of which happens to be an 8"-er. It's the $3500 one. I don't know where the $1600 version is made, but I know it doesn't have a maple leaf stamped on it.

All General machinery is made in Canada.

All General International machinery is made offshore, the boxes I've seen indicated Taiwan.

Regards, Rod.

John Callahan
01-30-2009, 12:44 PM
How's Northfield surviving the current economy? Thought I heard they closed the foundry- is that so?

Steve Rozmiarek
01-30-2009, 1:08 PM
Isn't Tannewitz, or Max, or whatever company makes the jointers for that group, still manufacturing? They where a couple years ago, IIRK. They won't be any cheaper then the Northfield though.

Karl Brogger
01-30-2009, 5:57 PM
How's Northfield surviving the current economy? Thought I heard they closed the foundry- is that so?

Slow, like everything else in the trades. They haven't closed anything that I know of. I do know the guys in the shop are down to 4 days a week though. One of my cousin's, step son's works there.

I don't think they do the castings in Northfield, I think they come out of Wisconsin somewhere, but I don't know that for sure either.