PDA

View Full Version : Dust Collector hoods

John Frigillana
01-29-2009, 3:10 PM
:)Does anyone have a shop made dust collector hood attachment that is mounted to the lathe. Can you share your ideas?:confused:

Roger Wilson
01-29-2009, 3:28 PM
:)Does anyone have a shop made dust collector hood attachment that is mounted to the lathe. Can you share your ideas?:confused:

I don't have a hood but I've got the four inch hose for a dust collector secured in a plywood jig so that it can be positioned behind whatever I'm working on. I've got it running whenever I'm working on the lathe.

Especially when sanding, you can see the dust streaming away from the lathe into the hose. It may not get every bit of the small dust but it does get most of it. All the chips and curlies are too heavy to be sucked in and end up all over the lathe and floor.

There are several videos on youtube.com of jt dunphy. He has two hoses with shaped ends to collect dust from his turnings. Part 5 (link below), right at the opening, shows the dust collection system well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G36IMg-hScs

Burt Alcantara
01-29-2009, 3:31 PM
I use a 6" flex hose held onto a stand with bungees. My dust collector is a ClearVue so anything within 2 feet of the hose gets sucked in...sorta.

Burt

Brodie Brickey
01-29-2009, 6:11 PM

I can't find the picture, but there was a user who used a 1 gallon milk jug as his 'funnel' for a 4 inch hose to the DC.

I use one of these:

http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID=144614&FamilyID=5206

but I find it a little too big for my area. I only bring it out when I'm sanding.

I need to build a box for my PM and then see if I can direct the shavings that I do produce into a bag or something. I think it would be better to have the shavings falling down to one side of the lathe only (generally) instead of being everywhere, but for sanding its either a downdraft style or the hood.

Scott Conners
01-29-2009, 8:09 PM
There area a few users on here that have posted pictures of their rigs that use a turned wooden cone/funnel for the end of the DC hose. Good use for those bowls where you took one too many cuts!

Don Carter
01-29-2009, 8:18 PM
Keoni Woods:
I have no pics but I use a very high tech method.;) I have a large wide strip of velcro from Walmart stuck to the back of my lathe ways and the opposite velcro is wrapped around the hose near the end. It really works.

All the best.

Don

Roger Bell
01-30-2009, 11:07 AM
I have placed the lathe next to the DC cyclone for maximum "suction" effect. I have a very short run of 5" flex hose attached to a 5" drop. Attached to the end of the hose, I have a circular 5" to 7" metal reducer (an "expander" in this case). The reducer has rare earth magnets bolted thru magnet-cups that allow it to be positioned on the lathe bed, the lathe frame or the lathe's metal stand.

doug young
01-30-2009, 11:26 AM
This system has worked very well for me and is easy to change the position of the hood. You need to have some space behind the lathe however.

http://www.westcoastwoodturning.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/27860/subcatid/0/id/385287

Reed Gray
01-30-2009, 12:51 PM
The more enclosed your project, is the more dust is collected. Power sanding will throw more dust around than hand sanding. Unfortunatly most of us don't have a paint booth to sand in. For my bowls, I took a 55 gallon food grade plastic drum (white so some light shines through) and adapted it as a hood for sanding only. I cut about a foot off one end, and cut away almost half of one side. A board screwed on the bottom sits in the ways of the lathe, and I cut out for the headstock spindle to fit through the end of the barrel that I didn't cut off. I put clear heavy plastic over the end I cut off. With a 3 hp dust collector, with me standing in front of it, there is no ecsaping dust. I get a little on my hands and arms, and some on my shirt, but nothing on my glasses, or up my nose. Oneway makes a 'fancy' version of this which is on their web site, but I like the cheaper version. You can buy 4 by 8 sheets of 1/4 inch thick plastic and make one. Eventually, I will make a hood to go along the entire length of my lathe, and be able to partition it all off depending on if I am turning, sanding bowls, or sanding spindles and hollow forms. There are all sorts of heating ducts and vents that can be adapted. Some day I will learn to take pics and post them.
robo hippy

Wally Dickerman
01-30-2009, 10:43 PM
For about 20 bucks Woodcraft or Penn State have a heavy duty 12 x 16 in. hood that works very well. Almost surrounds the piece. It hooks to a 4 in. hose. I have mine on a movable stand so that I can easily move it from the inboard side to the outboard side of my lathe. Works well.

Wally

Ken Whitney
01-31-2009, 9:10 AM
I picked up a large-mouthed aluminum canning funnel at a thrift store, about 9" in diameter at the input side and used metal tape and silicone sealer to attach the other end to a 4" collector hose fitting. I epoxied a couple of rare earth magnets to the rim of the funnel and stick it to the ways on my mini lathe where needed. Works pretty good.

Ken

Mike Peace
01-31-2009, 11:55 AM
Here is a picture of my DC hood for my PM3520. The plywood board is clamped with C clamps and scraps of 2X4 between the lathe and the plywood so chips will fall thru. The hood is mounted to a moveable saddle. The small black one is for when the work is too big for the hood. I need to put more of a tilt on the small one so it would be at the same angle as putting a bungie cord around end of the hose. It could be better but works well enough for the time being.