PDA

View Full Version : Marking spring steel

Ashton Waters
01-29-2009, 3:00 PM
Hello everyone,

I am in need of information on how to mark spring steel with a laser engraver. I know it can be done because I'm holding a sample and it was marked with a laser engraver. It has a blued surface so I'm not sure Cermark will work. Has anyone run into this situation or can you point me in the right direction to find the information I need? Thanks for your help.

Ashton

Dave Johnson29
01-29-2009, 3:25 PM
It has a blued surface so I'm not sure Cermark will work. Has anyone run into this situation or can you point me in the right direction to find the information

Hi Ashton,

The blued surface will be iron oxide as a result of the heat treatment and tempering process. It should work fine with cermark. I have not tried it though but I am guessing someone else here has.

James Stokes
01-29-2009, 6:11 PM
I have not tried spring steel but I have tried just about all of the rest, Ceramark should work fine.

Ashton Waters
01-29-2009, 8:46 PM
I spoke to Mike at LaserBits about Cermark and he said it would mark on spring steel but because of the dark surface of the pieces I need to mark, that it wouldn't be very visable. He also told me that the company that makes Cermark will be introducing a new product next month that will mark a light color mark on dark metals. The only problem with that is I will have lost this job by that time. Oh well, that's the way it goes. Thanks for the input.

Ashton