PDA

View Full Version : Large numbers (for me) issue

Gregg Vaughn
01-29-2009, 1:34 PM
I have an order I received that I'm doing now. I'm still new to doing large numbers of pieces (400 in this order) and not sure if I'm where I need to be on pricing. This job calls for the tags to be made from 1/4" poplar, finished on both sides and engraved on one side.

I priced the job at $2.05 per piece for an $820 job cost and got the order.

I bought the wood at Lowes for $3.91 per 5.5" x 24" piece. At 16 pieces per board the material cost is $0.245 each. The finish adds $0.027 per piece. The remaining $1.77 covers the laser time (1.5 minutes per piece)

The artwork was provided by the customer (you can't account for taste) and I had very little setup time involved. My Helix allows 3 boards on the table at a time, so 9 runs for the job.

Where do I stand in relation to how you folks would have priced this? Too late for me this time, but hopefully many more jobs to come.

ps 90% of my jobs are plaques .... serving the craft folks is new to me.

Mike Null
01-29-2009, 1:38 PM
I would have been closer to $4.00.

Ray Uebner
01-29-2009, 2:34 PM
Hi
I agree with Mike. I did not see any time for sanding and finishing. So your time is worth something. I might have even gone to 4.50 each. You have sandpaper, electric and your wages. Just my thoughts.

Joe Pelonio
01-29-2009, 2:55 PM
I agree with the others, I'd have taken your result as your cost and doubled it for a profit (your wages) to $4.10 each. There should be laser time in the price to cover wear and tear, repairs, new tube and cleaning, but you need to also charge for your time putting in the wood, taking out all of the pieces
and the sanding/finishing time and any cleanup.

Rodne Gold
01-30-2009, 2:14 AM
A very good rule of thumb we apply for pricing is 5-6X material costs. If it looks too cheap ..then add a bit more.

bob pfohler
01-30-2009, 8:22 AM
I think you could have done better with the price of the wood. In our area at a lumber yard we can buy 2x more than you did for the same price.

Gregg Vaughn
01-30-2009, 8:35 AM
Thanks everyone .... I have had only a few jobs with multiple pieces of this nature (vector cut and engraved), I deal mostly with plaques. Most of the plaques I do are for government or corporations and there is normally very little if any push back on my pricing.

My area has been hit hard by the economy and I'm pretty sure the job would not have been accepted at $1,600, although the profit would have been nice. The "crafts" community does not seem to have the same money to spend.

I think I'll stick to plaques ...