PDA

View Full Version : Stain: For Antique Oak Furniture?

George Octon
01-29-2009, 10:44 AM
Does anyone have a favorite stain to use for refinishing antique oak furniture? I realize preference may be a matter of personal taste, but... I've done a few pieces over the years, but don't have one I really like. Would rather use an off the shelf than mixing something. Thank you.

Jim Becker
01-29-2009, 11:26 AM
George, "antique oak" can run the gamut relative to color shade. Aside from the differences in lumber from tree to tree, the way it was originally finished (shellac, fumed, varnish, etc.) and conditions the piece "lived" in will make for significant variation.

Accordingly, it would probably be useful for you to describe more fully what you want from a color standpoint so folks can help you find a product or finishing regimen recommendation to get you there...or at least close. Nothing is "exact" when it comes to this kind of thign!

Mike Monroe
01-29-2009, 11:45 AM
George,

Homestead finishing has some pretty detailed instructions on how to color oak to achieve a particular look. Check out the following link for details, might be what you are looking for.

http://www.homesteadfinishing.com/htdocs/articles.htm

Mike

John Keeton
01-29-2009, 12:17 PM
George, I have refinished and repaired several oak pieces from the 1890-1920 era. Most of them have been the factory built "Victorian" oak, with the classic Golden Oak color. For the most part, I don't stain the original wood as it seems to hold its color and patina after stipping. Also, for striping, you can use Arm and Hammer Washing Soda - 1/2 cup per about 2.5 gallons of hot water. It will cut right thru the finish on those old pieces as long as someone hasn't poly'd them! For repairs where I have added wood, I usually use Minwax - 2 parts Golden Oak, 1 part Provincial, and play around with that some until I get a good match. Works pretty good.

I have not done any with true "fumed" oak, but Homestead does have quite a bit of info on that.