PDA

View Full Version : Work Sharp slotted wheels?

Dan Schocke
01-29-2009, 10:33 AM
Question for Work Sharp 3000 owners/users... Did you buy extra slotted wheels so that you can have more than one grade of abrasive for the "edge vision" sharpening? If so, do you find it necessary to have all 3 grades of abrasives (P80, P400, P1200) available when you sharpen lathe tools? I really like the way this sharpener works with the glass wheels where you can mount 4 different grades of sandpaper (it keeps me from skipping those final honing steps when I need a sharp chisel in a hurry). I'd like to have the same sort of thing with the slotted wheels, but since you can only mount abrasive on one side, it's going to cost quite a bit to make that happen. Considering I've never really done much more than sharpen my lathe tools on a bench grinder (which I think is at best an 80 grit wheel) and runs a diamond honing stone over the edge for 30 seconds, I'm thinking I may just use the P80 and P400 abrasives on the slotted wheels. I'm not sure I can bring myself to sharpen any of my carving tools on a powered sharpener, so the P1200 is probably just not necessary for me. Anyway, I'd like to hear some of your experiences...

--Dan

Jim Kountz
01-30-2009, 12:44 AM
I havent yet but I certainly plan on getting some extra slotted wheels.

Tom Klass
01-30-2009, 5:46 AM
I bought one for each grit when I placed the first order. The only thing I wish I would of done was order extra paper of the finer grits at the cost I had at the time. You wear them out reeeeal fast!!! It works great I use to sharpen them by hand that it would shave the air off your arm, but this will do it in less then half the time and able to keep it that way easer. I did fined that I was able to skip some of the middle grit so you may get away with out ordering one for each. Its personal preferace I guess.
Tom