PDA

View Full Version : Wall chest

alex grams
01-29-2009, 8:07 AM
Nothing spectacular, but i've been needing a place to put my planes, chisels, handsaws, squares, etc.. Now I just need to make hangers for all of my tools to mount inside. No matter how much storage I have in the workshop, it will never be enough it seems.

Also my first time to make box finger joints. When my wife saw the boxes all she said is that she wants a box now... no clue what for, but what momma wants, momma gets. The jig was surprisingly easy to make, took maybe 10-15 minutes to set up and tweak to the proper dimensions/tolerances. Much better than blowing 100$ on a fancy store-bought one.
The boxes are mahogany front and maple sides, the panels are walnut, the interior is birch ply and the framing is maple. The drawer handles I made from some wenge, though they are difficult to see their shape against the mahogany in the pictures.
I also got to use the branding iron with my name on it for the first time (a gift my wife bought me for Christmas).

Ken Higginbotham
01-29-2009, 8:12 AM
Good looking cabinet - How's the best way to make those finger joints? I've seen store bought and home made jigs... ?

alex grams
01-29-2009, 8:17 AM
There are a lot of ways to make a finger gauge. I will try and get a picture of mine if you want. It would be much easier to see how it is done rather than read me trying to hack my way through a description.

Ken Higginbotham
01-29-2009, 8:39 AM
That's be great - Thanks.

Mark Singer
01-29-2009, 8:50 AM
Very nice chest! Good work and nice design!

Greg Cole
01-29-2009, 9:50 AM
Very nice chest!
Tee hee. :p
Looks as good here as in my e-mail inbox.... I must admit it might look just a bit nicer on the wall in my shop though.:D

Ken Werner
01-29-2009, 9:53 AM
Looks great.

Dewey Torres
01-29-2009, 10:30 AM
I like what you did with the doors. Appears to be pocket screw box with a frame and panel applied over them correct?

Please come back and post when you get it filled.

Joe Cunningham
01-29-2009, 10:38 AM
Looks like bookmatched walnut for the panels? Very nice all the way around.

alex grams
01-29-2009, 10:38 AM
You are correct Dewey. It is pocket screw frame with a door panel applied to the front. The back of the door has 1/2" birch ply on it to secure hangers/racks to, and the front panel is a piece of 1/4" walnut framed. I filled the pocket screw holes in the door top and bottom with a walnut dowel, then just flush cut and sanded them off.

I had that thought the other day that having a place for nice hand tools will now only encourage me to go buy more nice hand tools :rolleyes:

Greg Cole
01-29-2009, 10:55 AM
I had that thought the other day that having a place for nice hand tools will now only encourage me to go buy more nice hand tools :rolleyes:
Can't blame me for the slide down the slope... I merely prodded you to peek into the abyss.:D

gary Zimmel
01-29-2009, 11:11 AM
Very nice tool cabinet Alex.

Can't have too much storage space..

Now the fun part. Filling it up.

Great job.

Jason Tuinstra
01-29-2009, 11:11 AM
Alex, great job. I'm sure it will look even better with the tools mounted. Love the brand. Kinda fun, aren't they? The contrasting woods work well together. Thanks for sharing.

Jim Becker
01-29-2009, 11:30 AM
That looks GREAT, Alex!!!