PDA

View Full Version : Honda 750 Intercepter

John Weber
06-30-2004, 2:42 PM
Ok guys, I haven't ridden a bike since high school, but my wife and I think it might be fun to zip out in the country now and again. A guy in town has a mid-80's Honda 750 Intercepter V-Four water cooled bike. The cowl is ok, maybe a couple smallish cracks, but it could use paint. Overall looks ok, but but a bit on the rough side (about average after 20 years I would guess). Mechanically it looks solid. I remember the Intercepters were the top dogs when they came out It would be cool as heck for a goof around bike, that is if the pirce is right and it didn't have any problems. Anything to look out for? What might be a fair price?

Thanks - John

JayStPeter
06-30-2004, 4:01 PM
You're stretching my memory. Those are pretty comfortable and fun bikes. I wouldn't buy it if you're going to worry about the cosmetics. Probably not worth it. Those fairings get expensive quick. If you can live with faded paint (happens on the older fiberglass), they are mechanically good bikes. I think the only problem spot on those particular bikes was voltage regulators. Some of those vintage Hondas had cam chain tensioner issues (don't remember if that applied to the V4, dont think so though). If there is a rattling noise from inside the engine it might be a problem. I haven't seen it, but $1500 sounds like the highest price I'd pay, maybe closer to $1K. Depends on condition mileage etc.

Condition of the following items would affect my decision/price most:
- tires - age/condition (new = $300)
- chain - look for rust and how tightly it fits on the rear sprocket, if you hold it in place top and bottom and can pull the chain away from the sprocket in the back at all, it is worn. Chain and sprockets need replacement ($200-400 depending on chain quality). Also look at sprockets. If they're not uniform and the chain is newish, chances are the chain was replaced and not the sprockets, it will be worn soon.
- brakes - pads/disks (check for rust on disks and pad thickness)
- suspension - about all you can do is ask the guy if he's ever changed the fluid out. Also look for leaks. Oil on the forks or the rear shock might mean a rebuild is necessary ($300 per unit for rebuild). I don't think it's got an air front suspension (if so check the pressure ~6psi). But, I think the Interceptor was springs. Check if the rear too easy to bottom it out. Think about how easy it would be with your wife on the back with you. It will make it not much fun to ride with her on it as it won't feel very stable w/saggy suspension. When you push it all the way down, it shouldn't bounce (on either end).

Right away, I'd also get a valve and carb adjustment.

If it has been meticulously maintained and the guy has records that show all the replacement of this stuff, you might go into the $2K range. But, most bikes of that age with around 20K miles need tires, chain/sprockets, at least suspension fluid replacement, and the motor tuneup (all told, somewhere just under $1K depending if you do stuff yourself). Even with less miles, I personally don't trust 20 yo chains. Tires that have been sitting a while are usually pretty sketchy as well, even if they look brand new. I would shoot for less than $2.5K fully rideable. Much more and you could get some newer bikes. Comparable bikes today sell new for under $6K (the new Interceptor is not a comparable bike, Suzuki SV650 would be closer).

Jay

Doug Jones
06-30-2004, 4:02 PM
After a breif search I found this;

http://www.nadaguides.com/Values/ValueReport.asp?UserID=530827646A686&DID=38168&Type=MC&GCode=MC&wPg=1107&wSec=3&Com=0098&Year=1986&Model=1200006172

Hope it helps, Doug

Chuck Wintle
06-30-2004, 4:43 PM
I seem to recall these v4 motors had some top end issues with lubrication. I would check that particularly because to rebuild the valve train camshaft etc is expensive.

John Weber
06-30-2004, 10:55 PM
Thanks guys, I looked much closer tonight. It's a 1984 model with 16,500 miles. According to my Uncle the 750's had some cam design issues the first few years. It started fine and idled decent. Tires were new but not a brand I knew, cowl and etc was ok other then the fading. Rear shox seemed a bit tight and front looked good but squeeked a bit when loading. Electrical appeared ok, but spocket seemed to have some wear. The guy was asking $1500, but came down to $1200, I think $1000 cash will buy it. My Uncle had a Honda dealership up until '85, and was fairly cautious, he's still with Honda and is going to check on the cam issue with some motorcycles techs. While it still has a good deal of "cool" factor, I'm thinking I might be better off with a Nighthawk 750 of the same vintage, much less to go wrong and mostly bullet proof. So I guess I'll wait and hear from him. I did find a '83 Nighthawk about an hour away for $1400, so I think I might try to take a look at that to compare. Thanks again, and I'll keep you informed.

John

Jack Wood
07-01-2004, 7:29 AM
I owned a 1981 Honda CB750F that I loved. I almost cried when the guy who bought it drove off. It never gave me a lick of trouble and I did a few aftermkt things to make it more like the Superbike racing style that was being raced at the time. Hondas in general are great bikes, my buddy had a Kawasaki and while it seemed to be quicker the Honda was so much of a better bike in the corners and in overall stability. He eventually bought an Interceptor when they came out and he never had any trouble out of it that I can recall. But I will give you one caveat in general about the cost of buying a "scooter". Have you checked with your Insurance company about the cost to insure one? Seems that it's gotten more expensive over the years. And I would highly recomend some of the new generation body armor style jackets and pants, at the very least the jacket. Also a good quality helmet, fullface, and gloves. So while the cost of the bike may be low the accessories and insurance could add up fast. Good luck and safe riding!:)