PDA

View Full Version : Using lathe as a segment press?

Jim Swift
01-28-2009, 11:32 PM
All you segmented turners out there.

I have a Jet 1642 and sometimes(often) use it as a press to align rings to the bottom of the turning on the faceplate. Am I heading for trouble due to sideway pressure being put on the bearings, etc in the headstock? I don't put extreme pressure just enough to line up the segments and to keep them from sliding around while glue sets. After a few minuted I take it off lathe and put in press for final drying.

This forum is fantastic, with all the info and knowledge so freely shared. Maybe someday I'll be experienced enough to add some input.

Thanks in advance

Jim Swift

alex carey
01-28-2009, 11:39 PM
I don't know about the Jet's but I do know that kids use to put too much pressure on the 16" Deltas they had at my high school. One of the lathes spindles got pushed out and had to be fixed which wasn't too hard. Too much is obviously not good but remember lathes are made to turn between centers and to do that you have to turn the tail stock to get it tight. As long as you don't push too hard it shouldn't be a problem at all. Welcome to the forum :)

Malcolm Tibbetts
01-29-2009, 12:04 AM
Jim, moderate pressure for short periods of time should not cause any problems; at least it never has with any of my lathes over the years.

Travis R. Nelson
01-29-2009, 11:38 AM
;) I have used my powermatic model 45 for this pretty often for the last 12 years and have had no issues. The capacity is only 12" Diameter so the rings are not huge. I have found that properly prepared FLAT rings do not require much preasure at all. I use a double thickness 3/4" plywood plate jig (one thickness is enough) I built to fit snug over the tailstock for rings larger than 6" to make sure the preasure is distributed evenly over the entire facing surface. I use centering cones also from time to time to line up and center small rings it perfectly. Others here have voiced sage advise in saying just take it easy, all you need to do is hold the pieces together. You don't want to force out all the glue and starve the joint. Back on topic, I'm sure there are more folks doing this than have actual purpose built presses to clamp their assembly.

Richard Madison
01-29-2009, 1:27 PM
Jim,
Ditto what they said. Best, easiest way to center the rings and align the pattern, IMHO. Light pressure to distribute the glue if necessary, a little more to squeeze out the excess glue. You can feel when the pieces "lock" together. I add just a tiny bit more pressure and leave it there for a couple hours. Then flatten that ring, and ready for the next one. The pressure is probably no more than you would use for drilling a large hole with forstner bit in the tailstock.

Bob Vallaster
01-29-2009, 2:21 PM
Lathe makes a dandy clamp for the job. I don't reef down on the tailstock thread...just enough to squeeze out the excess glue.
Drill press likewise.
20 years of it and neither has suffered any harm I can discern.

BobV