PDA

View Full Version : Good alternitive to the carvwright?

James Jaragosky
01-28-2009, 11:00 PM
h ttp://ww w.pcncautomation.net/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?cart_id=1233200532.238 (take out the spaces and past into browser)

I got a email about this site today this looks like a nice in between machine. For the money I would get one of the smaller models over a Carvewright.

Carvewright owners I mean no offense
I think the concept of the Carvewright is wonderful, but from what I have been reading the quality of these machines is still lacking.

This looks like it could be a good alternitive to the carvwright
It may not be as easy to operate as a Carvwright but it would be more versatile and may even be more dependable in the long run.

Phil B
01-29-2009, 7:26 AM
Here might be another to consider:

h ttp://cncsidewinder.com/

Cindy Rhoades
01-31-2009, 10:21 AM
I went to a woodworking show yesterday just to see the carvewright and I am sorry I was not impressed with the machine or the reps for the company. The samples they had were not of good quality to show what the machine should be able to do. The machine is extremely slow and if I decide to sell any of the products I make on the machine it would void the warranty. I am looking elswhere for a mchine that won't make me go broke and still produce the quality I require of any of my products. Most of the wood samples I saw yesterday were very rough and just looked terrible up close from a distance they looked very nice. I want a cnc to compliment my laser and I will not go with a machine because it is cheap. The speed fo the carvewright is to slow. For a hobby machine it would be great but I don't have several hours to make a nice box that I can't sell because of time involved would make it unaffordable. Just my opinion and maybe I am to picky.

James Jaragosky
01-31-2009, 12:05 PM
I went to a woodworking show yesterday just to see the carvewright and I am sorry I was not impressed with the machine or the reps for the company. The samples they had were not of good quality to show what the machine should be able to do. The machine is extremely slow and if I decide to sell any of the products I make on the machine it would void the warranty. I am looking elswhere for a mchine that won't make me go broke and still produce the quality I require of any of my products. Most of the wood samples I saw yesterday were very rough and just looked terrible up close from a distance they looked very nice. I want a cnc to compliment my laser and I will not go with a machine because it is cheap. The speed fo the carvewright is to slow. For a hobby machine it would be great but I don't have several hours to make a nice box that I can't sell because of time involved would make it unaffordable. Just my opinion and maybe I am to picky.

Cindy the quality of the finished product is driectly related to the quality of the materiel being used.
Unless you have 10's of thousands to spend on equipment and tooling 3d work is going to be slow. I am currently carving a copy of the last supper in purple heart and my estimated cut time is 1.5 hrs for a 15.5 x 10.75 x .31 deep with a 8% step over on the finish pass.

What bed size do you think you will need? Shopbot and Camaster both offer smaller and more affordable versions of their larger machines.

I was impressed with the specs on the machine posted in this thread but I have no experience with the product or company. That is why I posted the link to get other opinions.

Brian Gilbert
01-31-2009, 2:47 PM
As a Woodworker in the UK I can only look with envy at this machine and wonder if it took 1.5 hours to carve this design how much longer would it take to do it by hand? even if you had the skills which I certainly don't have. Frankly I would give my right arm for such a machine.

AL Ursich
01-31-2009, 4:40 PM
I am impressed !!!!

AL:D