PDA

View Full Version : The full-size table: The top is ready for sanding

Al Navas
01-28-2009, 9:45 PM
http://sandal-woodsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/table-top-glueup-3-all.png

From my blog:

Whew!

Today was time to glue up the two halves of the table top. I trimmed each of the two halves on the table saw, using the crosscut sled. Leaving each half slightly over final length, I tackled the glue-up. Sandy came to the shop to lend a hand, as I did not want clamps moving and lumber falling to the floor.

Three hours late I removed the clamps, scraped the dry glue, and completed preparations for sanding tomorrow. I will drop off this panel at my friend’s shop, and will wait for his call. He requested I write down final thickness, width, and length. I may not be able to share you this part of the job - but I hope to snap some photos of his shop.

Next: I will start milling the walnut legs, in preparation for glue-up; the legs will be 3 inches square, so I must mill two halves, and glue them to prepare the legs for final milling prior to machining the mortises on the FMT. I also have to mill some 4/4 (1-inch, rough) quarter-sawn white oak (QSWO), for the aprons; then to the FMT to machine the tenons.

I purchased gorgeous walnut and QSWO at Simpson & Sons (http://www.simpsons-nativehardwoods.com/index.html), a large saw mill just South of town. The people at the mill go out of their way to help customers dropping in to buy one board, or a full truck load. Simpson has “… in stock walnut, maple, white oak, red oak, hickory, hackberry, red elm, and ash, and gun and rifle stock blanks. From 4/4 to 8/4 we have all your furniture grade needs. Planing is available on request. Stock lists and price lists are available by fax…”

David Christopher
01-28-2009, 10:08 PM
Al, that is beautiful lumber, cant wait to see finished product

Is that for you or someone else?

Al Navas
01-28-2009, 10:17 PM
Thanks, Dave. This table is for a client; it will be a small conference table in his office.