PDA

View Full Version : Making Custom Stands for Plaques

Keith Outten
06-30-2004, 12:52 PM
If anyone is interested in discussing making custom stands for plaques or metal scroll work I would be glad to offer some tips I have learned. There are a few real inexpensive benders available which will allow you to make picture/plaque stands as well as a host of other goodies for your workshop and projects.

Below is a simple stand design for a black marble tile, it takes about 29" of 1/4" round stock and 3 simple bends. These are real quick to build and material costs are probably less than 25 cents. The bender I used for this project was purchased from Northen Tools, the cost of the bender was less than 20 bucks and it will fit in your back pocket.

The second picture shows the plaque on the stand which is only visible at the very bottom. I machined a small groove at each end just behind the end radius bends to catch the bottom edge of the plaque.

Aaron Koehl
06-30-2004, 1:31 PM
Nice looking stands! I couldn't tell it was 3D at first by the picture, which threw me off a little--that is until I saw the shadow.

I'm sure the stand is sturdy--how stable is the plaque when it's on the stand? (e.g. could you bump it?) The marble is good and heavy, but I wonder if some soft rubber would do well to hold it snug--?

Good stuff!