PDA

View Full Version : Inca 550 question

Robert Ivy
01-28-2009, 9:28 PM
I've had an Inca 550 Jointer/Planer for about 15 yr. and have never been able to get it working correctly. I purchased a replacement belt from Garrett Wade (27") but if installed on the slower speed pulley the idler wheel is in contact with the planetary gear pulley. I measured the older belt and it appears to be 26 1/2" but hasn't the traction to make it work. I can run on the higher speed but I always end up pushing the board thru by hand. I have consulted Jessie at Eagle tools and he offered some advice but I'm still puzzled as to this. With the new belt I can watch the board get pulled into the planer where it will proceed a couple of inches then it stops. With the planetary gear cover removed I can see that it's still turning, along with the 1st roller but the board stays. I've tried waxing the table, resetting the knives, checking the rollers with no luck. The rollers have only a tension spring without any adjustment. Should I just push it back into the corner?
R/Bob

Ed Costello
01-28-2009, 9:34 PM
This may be a silly question but...............are your blades sharp? I thought my brand new planer was smoked until I realized my blades were dull after the first 50 board feet of 11' wide QSWO. Just a thought. BTW my planer is not an INCA

Cheers,
Ed

Phil Thien
01-28-2009, 11:30 PM
There is an Inca forum on Yahoo groups. You might want to find those guys and ask your question there.