PDA

View Full Version : Woodcraft Forstner bits

Charlie Patterson
01-28-2009, 7:11 PM
Got a flyer today and Woodcraft has their 16 piece Forstner bit set on sale at 50% off reg. 79 on sale for 39. What can anyone tell me about this set worth it at 39 or what?

Thanks
Charlie

Lee Schierer
01-28-2009, 7:29 PM
Do you have a set now?

Do you need flat bottom or partial holes in work that you do?

If not any set is better than none. I have an inexpensive set. They work quite well. I do have to touch up the cutting edges once in a while. They don't get used a lot in my shop.

Brent Leonard
01-28-2009, 7:33 PM
Didn't look up the set your speaking of, but I'm wagering it is the basic, steel bits. Seems to me the Woodcraft & Rockler steel forsner bits & sets are almost always on "sale".

If they are the basic steel, they work. Produces a mediocre clean cut. I found no manufacturing defects with the ones I have. I doubt they are of any better quality than Harbor Freight. Check HF & Grizzly prices for $$ comparison.

If I find the day or project I need to cut LOTS of holes, I will spring for a good carbide bit in the size(s) I need.

Rich Engelhardt
01-29-2009, 6:43 AM
Hello,
Nearly four years ago I picked up a dandy set of Porter Cable Forstner bits in a nifty wooden box.
I have yet to use any of them.

It seems like every time I need a Forstner bit, it's a different size than any of the ones in the set and I end up running to Lowes and buying a Freud in the size I need.