PDA

View Full Version : Spalted sugar maple marking knife

Jeff Nicol
01-28-2009, 6:59 PM
Well it was a slow day in the shop but I did manage to complete this little knife. A fellow creeker who is a good friend of mine asked me to make him one. He does the old school way with dovetails and hand planes etc. So he is in with the Neanderthal crowd! So here it is pretty handle could have buffed out the blade better but was in a hurry at the end of the day. Spent most of the day at doctors appts. and pharmacy, seems like a simple thing takes 3 hours for a 20 min appointment!

Thanks for checking it out,

Jeff

robert hainstock
01-28-2009, 7:02 PM
Welcome to the world of health issues. One foot in the vortex, and the other----------!:):eek:
Bob

Steve Schlumpf
01-28-2009, 7:06 PM
Good looking marking knife Jeff! I am sure your friend will love it!

Jeff Nicol
01-28-2009, 7:06 PM
Bob, I have 2 torn rotator cuffs and after 2 surgeries and no help and more pain than when I started I work through it with pain meds and head meds!! I have carpal tunnel syndrome too and the Doc thinks it is getting worse also, just my luck or should I say Murphy's law!! Turning is my saving grace though.

Thanks,

Jeff

Randy Schaffer
01-28-2009, 7:46 PM
That is very nice. I have one of those on my "make" list. What did you end up using for the ferrule?

That wood is really nice in this and the shape looks comfortable too.

Jim Kountz
01-28-2009, 10:22 PM
Jeff well done, and a very useful tool to boot, nice job!!

Bernie Weishapl
01-28-2009, 10:25 PM
Great job on a nice tool.

Jeff Nicol
01-28-2009, 10:54 PM
Randy, I used a 1/8" compression nut. Turned the tenon to fit inside tight to the threads, then pushed it on and turned it round and drilled a little bigger hole in it for the blade tang. It was fun to make and I have more brass and blade material so I will make some more.

Jeff

David Drickhamer
01-28-2009, 11:10 PM
Nice knife Jeff. I've been wanting to make one for myself. What did you use for the blade?

Dewey Torres
01-29-2009, 12:03 AM
Jeff,
They look great and I totally hate going to the doctor ...time being only one reason so don't feel bad.

Norm Zax
01-29-2009, 3:04 AM
Great looking marking knives!
Just dawned on me: ever wonder how Neanderthal always need to rely on tools made by non-Neanderthals?!

Jeff Nicol
01-29-2009, 6:09 AM
Great looking marking knives!
Just dawned on me: ever wonder how Neanderthal always need to rely on tools made by non-Neanderthals?!
Norm, I have some of the old caveman in me too! But it is hidden away most of the time! Still love the sound a nicely tuned and sharp hand plane makes when it shears the curl off the board. I do it once in a while just to remember the old ways!! But I am like Tim the Tool Man Taylor........MORE POWER!!!!!

Thanks,

Jeff

Steve Campbell
01-29-2009, 7:50 AM
Nice looking knife Jeff. I am sure someone is going to love using it. There's just nothing better than using a hand made tool.
Hope you get feeling better soon.

Steve

Chris Huybregts
01-29-2009, 9:12 AM
beautiful work!

Keith Christopher
01-29-2009, 9:18 AM
Where'd you get the blade material ? Anything special about it ?

John Borgwardt
01-29-2009, 2:28 PM
I bet your friend is going to enjoy showing it off as much as using it. I can hardly wait to see the next generation. ;) :p

Jeff Nicol
01-29-2009, 6:18 PM
Where'd you get the blade material ? Anything special about it ?
Keith, I used an old jigsaw blade that was a little dull. It is already hardened so it is great for this purpose. I tried to cut it with a hack saw and all it did was ruin the blade, so I think it is plenty hard. I can get at least 2 blades out of one jigsaw blade. The come in different widths also this one ended up after I ground off the teeth 5/16" wide. I also use sawsall blades to make carving knives. I figure why buy the oil hardening tool steel and go through all the hardening process for a small blade.

Try it out,
Jeff

Jeff Nicol
01-29-2009, 6:19 PM
I bet your friend is going to enjoy showing it off as much as using it. I can hardly wait to see the next generation. ;) :p
This guy here is going to be the recipient of the knife!! Thanks John and hope to see you tomorrow!

Don't work to hard tonight!

Jeff